How Long is "Too Long"? (Dealing with 1/6 Artists)

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I know there was a blacklist thread on here at some point, but I wanted to start a different thread since I don't want to start problems and instead just get some feedback and opinions.

Long story short, a year ago today (May 2021) I paid a fairly well known painter to paint a sculpt I had. They said their schedule was at the end of August (2021) and to send over the head. There were some issues with shipping so it didn't get to the artist until the end of August, but I accept the blame for that and didn't want to rush them because of that. Three months later (November 2021) I was just curious to see if there were any updates and they said they were working on it and would show me later. Three more months (February 2022) and I hadn't heard anything so I again asked for updates and just got the same response: "i am working on it~i will show you later". Now it's another three months and again I haven't heard a peep.

That in mind, how do people think I should proceed? I'm not under the impression that they just took my money, but they've had the sculpt for 9 months at this point and I have no evidence that they've even started work on it while they've started and updated a number of other projects.

Hi my friend, I would feel exactly the same in your situation, at the very least the Artist should keep you informed of progress and delays, it is simply the right way to behave and conduct business. I would try again with contact, if no response or an unworthy response I would name and shame. I wish you much luck.....no.prisoners.

I've biten my tongue about one particular organiser/artist for what's 2yrs now. The project was supposed to have a 6 month turn around, but kept being extended. Then the material was changed without any consultation. I was told I'd have to wait more to resource the original material. The person in question raved about how much better the new material was, but I wasn't seeing it. I said if that's the case, then I'll have your suit made of the original material, and you can have mine. That was denied immediately of course. Over 12 months in, and I was shown a newer version, but alterations were needed, and they'd again used the material I didn't want, and no refund was offered. 14 months later it was sent back, only for the neck joint on the original HT to be snapped clean in 2, and someone else's arms sent with my figure, it was a 10 figure run. Then to add insult to injury, I was sent 2 left arms. The organiser never once apologised, or offered any kind of refund. I was also told I'd have to pay for shipping back to them to fix their f**k up. I'm still currently waiting on my original arms to be sent back, and waiting to hear back on a solution regarding the broken neck, which simply can't be switched out. This was a 1 off body HT used, and to my knowledge is no longer made. Through the entire process I've had to pull teeth to get updates from this guy. He is quite well known in the community, and I've been incredibly patient not speaking of him publicly by name. I'm over a barrel now until this can be fixed. I will NEVER use this person again, or anyone else without a thorough check of other customers experiences. So many seem to think because they're safe behind a screen they don't need to offer the same assurances as if they owned a shop we could simply walk into. We work hard to support our hobby, and many I wouldn't trust to change a tyre.

I reckon so my friend, I experienced much the same many years ago, it certainly makes one cautious. I hope the matter is resolved very soon.

So I know there was a blacklist thread on here at some point, but I wanted to start a different thread since I don't want to start problems and instead just get some feedback and opinions.

Long story short, a year ago today (May 2021) I paid a fairly well known painter to paint a sculpt I had. They said their schedule was at the end of August (2021) and to send over the head. There were some issues with shipping so it didn't get to the artist until the end of August, but I accept the blame for that and didn't want to rush them because of that. Three months later (November 2021) I was just curious to see if there were any updates and they said they were working on it and would show me later. Three more months (February 2022) and I hadn't heard anything so I again asked for updates and just got the same response: "i am working on it~i will show you later". Now it's another three months and again I haven't heard a peep.

That in mind, how do people think I should proceed? I'm not under the impression that they just took my money, but they've had the sculpt for 9 months at this point and I have no evidence that they've even started work on it while they've started and updated a number of other projects.
Hey I just read the post. Apologies coming out of the blue. I just signed in on this forum again after being away for quite sometime and renewed my membership (admin did an outreach which I appreciate). I came back on here and decided why not renew the membership as well to ready myself for when I'd like to commission someone to make a custom figure I had in mind.

However upon reading this, and this is just to get a sculpt painted, this leaves me very weary of wanting something done lol! I mean this is extremely daunting to read. I don't know how much you paid as this sends off extreme red flags from when you mentioned the first no update. I don't know how big you sculpt was in the first place but regardless you still haven't gotten an update that's concrete in 9 months. To give a sense of time and how ridiculous this all sounds 2 birthdays for me personally have already passed on by so don't know if you've already reported their name to be on guard about in another thread but if not then I would. Especially if you've been professional and you still haven't gotten a hard physical update. You mentioned they've updated other works they are working on. I realize as well they may not be your only client at the time. But just to let you know I did have an update on Etsy for around the same time you commissioned this to be done for you and it had to be completely made from scratch. I did receive updates long story short when I inquired.

Not to rush them and say demanding on update for a finished project now but you just want an update on how it is progressing along whether finished or not. Especially since they seem to have their schedule listed of when they end and start commissions again. I do pray if you come back to this thread you have a positive update to provide but please stay on top of this I don't know how much you paid whether it was a small amount down or whether it was the whole thing regardless it is money you'd rather have back if nothing is being done.

Took over a year when he promised 3 months. Silent Surfer is trash. Full of excuses about why he cant get work done, but had time to post on FB about 20 times a day. No exageration. Dont know if that's who the poster was talking about, but sounds like his MO.

Took over a year when he promised 3 months. Silent Surfer is trash. Full of excuses about why he cant get work done, but had time to post on FB about 20 times a day. No exageration. Dont know if that's who the poster was talking about, but sounds like his MO.
Currently 2+ year wait from him for me 😒

Not SS, but he’s exactly why I started this thread before trying to resolve my issue.

For an update: the good news is that the work is done. I messaged the artists again, and after some excuses, the painting was done between 6/26-7/11. I don’t have it just yet, but I do have photos that it’s done.

To be honest, lack of communication and delays are common enough in this hobby that I don’t feel the need to drag the artist’s name through the mud. I’ve heard much worse about Silent Surfer as previously mentioned, and I think situations like the one DeanKnight had with him do warrant some kind of warning, all I’ll say here is that for the rate I paid this painter I wish I had just gone with 357Partment, who are much more professional with communication and invoices.

Not SS, but he’s exactly why I started this thread before trying to resolve my issue.

For an update: the good news is that the work is done. I messaged the artists again, and after some excuses, the painting was done between 6/26-7/11. I don’t have it just yet, but I do have photos that it’s done.

To be honest, lack of communication and delays are common enough in this hobby that I don’t feel the need to drag the artist’s name through the mud. I’ve heard much worse about Silent Surfer as previously mentioned, and I think situations like the one DeanKnight had with him do warrant some kind of warning, all I’ll say here is that for the rate I paid this painter I wish I had just gone with 357Partment, who are much more professional with communication and invoices.
Thanks for updating this. glad to hear there was a positive resolution. But updates are a must as you kind of said with this hobby. Otherwise you feel like you just threw money into a blackhole.

Ah DeanKnight had some recent trouble? didn't know it's been awhile since I've seen one of his vids but again I've been gone from hobby for awhile so ofcourse I haven't. but yes if he's having trouble with someone and communicating it then definitely legitimate. definitely a senior member of the community.

Last edited:

Glad it's working out. I wouldnt have brought his name up, but I feel the need to let people know about what to expect with him. If it was just me that it happened to, that's one thing. But for him to deal with everyone like that, nah. Too many other talented painters, like 357, Yelim, Mark Simpson, Rahimer, etc that know how to run a business and stick to a timeline. Glad it all worked out for you!

NINE MONTHS to PAINT a 1/6 scale head in ludicrous. Sorry. I do it every day. If you're talking ACTUAL TIME; I would say ANY painter I would consider "good" can paint a head in a half a day; 4, maybe 5 hours. If it's some complex creature paint job or what have you, MAYBE a full 8-10 hour day. Now, I understand being busy and having a schedule-- working in commission jobs, all that. But I would never do that to a client. It's just a joke, and it's bad business. You send me a 1/6 head to have painted, you'll have it back within two weeks, and that's my husband and I working a normal, stacked, work week.

Anyone who would wait that long to get a head painted, needs THEIR head checked.

Lauren

That's just a little harsh since most consumers are generally untrained in the process. Most people only see the year-long promises of companies who take that year or more to deliver promised products...and maybe deliver in the timeframe promised.

That said: everyone should be made aware that smaller companies and individual artist should have a shorter turnaround time than large companies. Large companies do many things that are not directly affecting the work and get in their own way as part of their process. Smaller ventures can get right to work and have fewer excuses for doing so.

Anyone taking money immediately, should be ready to work immediately.

Harsh? Maybe. But true.

Sorry brother... I've been in this business far too long to not know the real answers here. I've worked for all these companies who take "a year or more to deliver finished products..." That's because those figures are mass produced in China, so of course it takes more time. Freelance artists like my wife and I doing private commissions or smaller figure runs (under 50 or so) are a different animal altogether. All Lauren was really saying is ANY artist who's gonna string someone along for NINE MONTHS to paint a head that two inches tall is a joke.

I agree.

It would take either her or I a day at the most to paint a 1/6 scale head.

SC

Lauren painted this in a few hours:

bounty huntoe.jpg

Anything over a month is unacceptable. A regular sculpt without rooted hair would take a day. If the artist is doing a run, that's understandable. I do runs of 10 at a time and they get done is around 3 weeks. That's producing the sculpt, painting and applying hair. I ship when they're all done not individually.
I know multiple people who sent surfer sculpts two years ago and still haven't gotten their property back. Wild.

@yondu.toys

Back