Looking for advice/opinions on having a custom figure done

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderpants

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I’ve been putting together a price for my dream 1/6 figure, but the price for getting a completely custom headsculpt done is making me hesitate (it’s 2/3rds of the total cost).

The alternative is to look for as close a match as possible in a ready made head and live with it being the second best option (it would need to have my second choice outfit to boot) in return for it costing a good deal less.

Anyone here been in a similar situation, and did you end up paying top dollar or compromising for the sake of your wallet?

Shirley Manson from the band Garbage.

Ideally in this outfit:

1629054286626.jpeg

but may have to go with my second choice of this outfit:

1629054384295.jpeg

so I can use this ready made head to save money:

1629054454086.jpeg

Yeah, honestly in this case, I would use readily available items on the market to bash her.
I mean, unless money is no object.

I wanted a custom Max Fischer and I ended up doing it solo. For me, it's just an iconic figure I wanted in my collection. I tried to run a group project, but as someone who's never done it before, I think it's hard to pull off.

I pulled the trigger, and Rocco did not disappoint. He made me an extra cast, because I was just crazy nervous about mailing it to Maximus Miniatures for painting (they nailed it, too!), and I also got the digital 3D file, and the knowledge that nobody else would be sold that particular sculpt (depends on the sculptor, i assume).

I don't know the type of figures in your collection, but I will say that the head sculpt makes a huge difference, and most mass market female head sculpts are pretty unexpressive.

If you do decide to spend the money then make sure you give feedback to the sculptor AND painter as you go. A good sculpter will obviously give you creative input, since you're paying an arm and a leg. But the painter doesn't know that. Tell them up front that it's a one of a kind sculpt, and you want to pay more to see in progress photos (the paint job is a minor expense compared to the sculpt, so this is worth it). They may take the extra money or not, but now they know you want to be involved and offered to respect the extra time it will take on their side.

either way, good luck!

Thanks, I’ve decided to go with a DS Toys D-010 head (see attached pic) as about the only one I can find with an expression that isn’t too cartoony/exaggerated and has a resemblance to Shirley Manson, and have the hair rerooted as it only seems to be available in silvery white, which should be a good balance between price and accuracy.

If it all works out, I should have a head that looks like this specific shot.
D6BF1100-EC28-476C-89D6-FBC8DAD3D80B.jpeg

Attachments

• 71E762EA-ACC7-4C6D-AF80-F7D715E6DA79.jpeg
    71E762EA-ACC7-4C6D-AF80-F7D715E6DA79.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 65
Back