Full figure JAWS: Quint (SOLD OUT) ~ Brody (SOLD OUT) ~ Hooper (SOLD OUT)

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a life-long Jaws fan (as many are), I would absolutely love to get in on this run. However, it is that ever-increasing price tag that is holding me back. I'll be keeping an eye on this though.

Quint, Brody and Hooper are (in my humble opnion) amoungst some of the greatest male character studies in 70s film. Quint, the hard as nails old school alpha male, Brody with the responsibility and weight of protecting an entire community (including his family) on his shoulders and Hooper the passionate academic. Awesome film and that Jay sculpt will rock, I have no doubts. Sorry for the geek out! I wish this project the success it deserves.

Can you share some reference pictures so I can share it with them so we might have some price drop if it's not jeans.

"Quint’s pants also emphasize function over fashion. Their faded black color (he also wears a brown pair) hide the inevitable oil, diesel fuel, or blood stains inherent to commercial fishing. The pants are likely made of cotton cloth with a straight leg cut, flat front, and four large pockets. Quint is not a blue jeans man as cotton dries faster than denim and wears more comfortably through a long workday. Quint wears a plain, if broad, black leather belt with brass hardware.

This site goes into detail of Quints entire costume:

https://bamfstyle.com/2017/08/09/jaws-quint/

I am interested, provisionally, but those prices. Yunsil has lost her mind. That being said, Jay won't be much cheaper than her 10-14 quote, if we use his recent Candyman as a yardstick. He's charging $800 PER HEAD, painted. It may be more if he's also sculpting Quint's hat and/or bandana.

I am interested, provisionally, but those prices. Yunsil has lost her mind. That being said, Jay won't be much cheaper than her 10-14 quote, if we use his recent Candyman as a yardstick. He's charging $800 PER HEAD, painted. It may be more if he's also sculpting Quint's hat and/or bandana.

I hope I can find another tailor with lower prices. But I'm not sure about the quality.
Jay prices are $800 for each sculpt painted. The hat will be made by Striped Box, not sculpted.

That's a bummer. However, pricing IS getting out of hand. $800USD for a painted sculpt (even a top notch sculpt) is out of line. C'mon people. That's just nuts.

If someone can afford it, why not. :)
Nobody is forcing people to buy at these ranges. I know artists can be ridiculous at some point with their prices, but it's the way nowadays as it seems because of flippers and re-runners in this hobby which pissed off lots of artists.

Disappointing for sure. But, as much as I love JAWS, I was concerned there would not be enough interest at this price range to get the figure made. Not when you really need the trio of shark hunters. Its a bit like Ghostbusters in that way, one is just not complete... though Quint has the best outfit. Still, you need the shark.

I don't blame artists for getting what they can. But its a very small market they are catering to. And I would imagine once all the great sculptors have tried their hand at Joker, Stark and Indy, perhaps they will want to move on.

Of course, like anything, there's always the next "great sculptor" out there waiting to take their crack at the same old thing.

I will say this, as this hobby has progressed in the past several years (in leaps and bounds in many cases), the customs game has changed considerably (again for the better and for the worst). Custom clothing runs now take years to complete and cost at least twice what they used to cost. It's pretty obvious to see what some artists are doing though. Again, no hate. I love seeing the talent that is reflected in the pieces that are being produced nowadays, and I totally appreciate and respect the work that goes into these things, but there's a certain point where its like, "Yeah that looks great... but I'd rather buy dinner (You know what I mean)".

I agree, it's a shame that SO much attention is spent on certain characters, but I guess they're popular for a reason, while others get sidelined and somewhat forgotten. And other times there are runs of figures from "trendy" movies/tv shows that won't have a lasting impact in the long run.

Any who, just my two cents.

I will say this, as this hobby has progressed in the past several years (in leaps and bounds in many cases), the customs game has changed considerably (again for the better and for the worst). Custom clothing runs now take years to complete and cost at least twice what they used to cost. It's pretty obvious to see what some artists are doing though. Again, no hate. I love seeing the talent that is reflected in the pieces that are being produced nowadays, and I totally appreciate and respect the work that goes into these things, but there's a certain point where its like, "Yeah that looks great... but I'd rather buy dinner (You know what I mean)".

I agree, it's a shame that SO much attention is spent on certain characters, but I guess they're popular for a reason, while others get sidelined and somewhat forgotten. And other times there are runs of figures from "trendy" movies/tv shows that won't have a lasting impact in the long run.

Any who, just my two cents.

So if you had a talent that takes you hours and hours and hours or research and sculpting. Would you want to be paid for that? I have 20yrs experience in my craft and now if someone wants to hire me you have to pay me $120K or more. That's my worth....nothing wrong with getting paid for what you do. Is he suppose to sell them for $200 a piece?

So if you had a talent that takes you hours and hours and hours or research and sculpting. Would you want to be paid for that? I have 20yrs experience in my craft and now if someone wants to hire me you have to pay me $120K or more. That's my worth....nothing wrong with getting paid for what you do. Is he suppose to sell them for $200 a piece?
Its understandable but it's not what he meant

Guys, let’s keep the conversation friendly.

Mr E is not attacking anyone and just voicing
how the custom world has changed.

There is no mud slinging here

Easy mate. I've been around long enough to see how it's evolved over time. Long enough to have a mature conversation about a hobby we all (or most of us, I presume) enjoy for the sake of it and not the investment nature of it. There are no hard feelings here. Those artists (and I do not use that term lightly) who make these sculptures and clothing, etc. have skills which I wish I possessed. With that being said, I have had experiences with artists in this hobby who are just as talented and just as respected (if not moreso at this point), who would charge $35USD for an unpainted sculpt of exceptional quality.

The fact that this Jaws set isn't happening as of right now says it all.

All I'm making is an observation of the current state of the game. If you want to get offended by my opinion, I won't stop you. But it's not my intent. Cheers.

Everybody has made their point, now let's leave it alone like ymba said. It's not fair that Hosam's thread should get clogged up with this.

Back