1/6 Luke & Leia swing bridge Dio

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM sent.

Also, you should provide the option to have the control panel showing "blaster damage" from when Luke shot it out.

Good call, but believe it or not this was an option I gave the customer for the original one and the undamaged panel was chosen.
Think the best way forward here chaps would be for us to provide 2 interchangeable panels secured with magnets and gives the end user the option.

Good call, but believe it or not this was an option I gave the customer for the original one and the undamaged panel was chosen.
Think the best way forward here chaps would be for us to provide 2 interchangeable panels secured with magnets and gives the end user the option.

I like that idea. :yess:

Righty Ho then !

I'm at a point with the mine carts I'm painting in the Indy section that I have some time to make a start on trying to bring this piece to life a little bit.

The weather is bad up here in middle earth today and I don't want to spray the primer inside the Petecave as even though I have a pretty decent sized spray booth this build is just too big to fit and catch all of the fumes/overspray and as there is no ventilation other than the booth I don't want to risk asphyxiation lol !.

Once I've primed and start using the airbrush it won't be so bad but rattle can primer is a no no inside on something so large.

So I have decided to work on the door control panel. Please note that at the moment this is a proof of concept and I think Jason will be making a slightly different one but we will see what happens as we move along.

Dodgy pic taken while pausing the movie

Model panel painted white aluminium and semi gloss black

And in place on the dio. There is acetate sprayed clear blue fixed behind the small square lights

Easier to see with the lights on

Sprayed some clear domes with clear blue and red from the back and glued on

Set in place for a quick looksee

And with some back light shenanigans

The red light needs a drop more clear red as the glue removed a tiny bit of it, not a problem as the glue dries crystal clear and I'll be able to drop a bit in from the back once it's dried fully
Also the light bleed you can see on the bottom light has been sorted ( I just needed to move the lens ) the glue was still wet when I took the pics and I hadn't tweaked the positions at this point

Not much I know ( but from little acorns, right ? )

I'll put a pic up of the fixed red light once the glue dries and hopefully I'll be able to make some more progress over the week to show

Cheers

Pete

This is so epic! :clap

I like the magnetic swap-out control panel idea... but truthfully I think I'd always want it 'clean' because I have a thing for light-up functions.

I can see this thing hanging on my wall.... with Luke and Leia looking out to the great chasm of my room.... with another doorway on the opposite wall with two stormtroopers taking aim. How insane would that be???

And with some back light shenanigans

The red light needs a drop more clear red as the glue removed a tiny bit of it, not a problem as the glue dries crystal clear and I'll be able to drop a bit in from the back once it's dried fully
Also the light bleed you can see on the bottom light has been sorted ( I just needed to move the lens ) the glue was still wet when I took the pics and I hadn't tweaked the positions at this point

Thanks Spudtropper and Wor-Gar, only a small start but I'm off the blocks :yess:

It's been wetter than Atlantis here for the last couple of days but this morning there was a break in the weather so I took advantage of the sunshine and got outside with the primer.

I used an acrylic primer that's pretty quick drying so it wasn't too long before I could get out the Alclads and get some base colours on the front and sides of the step

It's difficult to capture the look with the camera but there are quite a few different metalic tones going on here

Bare in mind that this is just the base colours, I am going to do some more work on this area to get it to look a bit closer to what's on the screen in the movie but I want to wait until all the main painting is done so I can get a feel for what it needs

Screen grabs show that there is a square of black on the floor

So out with the masking tape !

I sprayed the square with a really dark grey rather than straight black and also narrowe the width of it as it looked a bit wide compared to the reference pic. Do you think it looks ok or does it need to be wider ? Please let me know what you reckon.

Also the dio has had its first coat of paint, I thinned it right out and kind of mottled it on and will do this mutiple times with darker and lighter mixes of the the base colour to give some tonal variation to the finish and add high and low lights

Remember this is very much in progress and will look completely different once I get all the shades of grey ( 50 ? Lol ) laid on and blended in, also the panel at the top with the recesses hasn't been done yet and is still in primer

I'm going to soft mask some panels on the floor and spray them in different tones to each other ( you can see the beginnings of it in this pic )

This is by far the largest object I've sprayed and I had to dismantle a chunk of my booth so I could get it on the bench to paint.

This pic with my hand gives an idea of the size

I'll post some more pics after I have got the rest of the shades sprayed on in a couple of days.

Cheers guys

Pete

Back