Dicazyart. 3d Sculptor entering the custom 1/6 market. Seeking knwoledge to produce my own sculpts and possible interest in my work.

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicazyart

Reaction score
SHOW2.jpg

Hi, My name is Dídac (aka Dicazyart), I'm a 3D sculptor. For years I've veen doing 3D as a hobby, and now I would like to think that I've reached a level where I could start to make some money out of it. After considering various options (looking for a job in a studio, accepting commissions...) I have come to the conclusion that I would like to try to produce my own head sculptures, so that I can offer the maximum quality to my clients.

The problem is that I’m not a collector, so I don't know anything about this world, that's why i have decided to open this post to ask you directly, so you can shed some light on the doubts I have.

First of all, I have some experience with 3d printing, so that is the format I would use to sell my 1/6 sculpted heads. I currently own a Photono Mono X which definitely falls short in terms of the quality I am looking for. So if I see interest from you on my work I would go for a Phrozen Sonic 8k, or similar.

The main doubts I have are regarding the format of the heads. The company I know the most is Hot Toys. I know that they usually use two formats for the heads, one with neck and one without. I would like to know what is the reason for using one or the other system.

I am also concerned about the anchoring to the body, I mean how to sculpt the lower or inner part of the head/neck so that it can be perfectly inserted into the body. I don't know if there is a standard anchor system that always works and has fixed measurements. What I thought I could do is to buy two sample heads, one of each type of Hot Toys, scan them and replicate the anchor in my sculpts. That would also allow me to size my sculpts to the correct scale. Therefore I would like to know if I can consider the Hot Toys heads as the standard to follow, so that their anchoring and scale systems will work for all of you even if you use bodies from other brands. If you know a better way to achieve correct anchoring joints, please, let me know. Any guidance in this matter will be really appreciated.

I would like to comment that for the moment I would sell the heads unpainted. I have been an illustrator for several years, eventually I would also like to be able to paint my figures, but learning and reaching my quality standards will take me some time, since I have never done it before. Visiting posts of sellers in this forum I have seen that unpainted heads usually sell well too, so I understand that there would be no problem.

Finally, if you like my work, I would be very grateful if you could comment on this post, even if it is just an "interested" comment. This way I could better assess if I would have a market and if it is worth to invest in a new printer or the Hot Toys heads. Thanks in advance for your help and time.

For other views of the models I currently sculpted and for more samples of my work please visit my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/dicazyart

View attachment 471275

Hi, My name is Dídac (aka Dicazyart), I'm a 3D sculptor. For years I've veen doing 3D as a hobby, and now I would like to think that I've reached a level where I could start to make some money out of it. After considering various options (looking for a job in a studio, accepting commissions...) I have come to the conclusion that I would like to try to produce my own head sculptures, so that I can offer the maximum quality to my clients.

The problem is that I’m not a collector, so I don't know anything about this world, that's why i have decided to open this post to ask you directly, so you can shed some light on the doubts I have.

First of all, I have some experience with 3d printing, so that is the format I would use to sell my 1/6 sculpted heads. I currently own a Photono Mono X which definitely falls short in terms of the quality I am looking for. So if I see interest from you on my work I would go for a Phrozen Sonic 8k, or similar.

The main doubts I have are regarding the format of the heads. The company I know the most is Hot Toys. I know that they usually use two formats for the heads, one with neck and one without. I would like to know what is the reason for using one or the other system.

I am also concerned about the anchoring to the body, I mean how to sculpt the lower or inner part of the head/neck so that it can be perfectly inserted into the body. I don't know if there is a standard anchor system that always works and has fixed measurements. What I thought I could do is to buy two sample heads, one of each type of Hot Toys, scan them and replicate the anchor in my sculpts. That would also allow me to size my sculpts to the correct scale. Therefore I would like to know if I can consider the Hot Toys heads as the standard to follow, so that their anchoring and scale systems will work for all of you even if you use bodies from other brands. If you know a better way to achieve correct anchoring joints, please, let me know. Any guidance in this matter will be really appreciated.

I would like to comment that for the moment I would sell the heads unpainted. I have been an illustrator for several years, eventually I would also like to be able to paint my figures, but learning and reaching my quality standards will take me some time, since I have never done it before. Visiting posts of sellers in this forum I have seen that unpainted heads usually sell well too, so I understand that there would be no problem.

Finally, if you like my work, I would be very grateful if you could comment on this post, even if it is just an "interested" comment. This way I could better assess if I would have a market and if it is worth to invest in a new printer or the Hot Toys heads. Thanks in advance for your help and time.

For other views of the models I currently sculpted and for more samples of my work please visit my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/dicazyart
Alright, up and alert, had to setup with work as well. So, alot to unpack here. First, thank you for being willing to contribute to the 1/6 community even though you're not a collector. This really helps in providing more customization and options for those that want to do a bit more with their collection rather than rely solely on major/minor brand companies.

Figure Head Formats: Regarding your section about the figure head formats and the company that would be best to start off on in terms gaining a design path to follow, Hot Toys is the primary company that people modify/add-on to using custom heads possibly created from those like yourself. I've noticed with mostly the Star Wars figures, they use the head+neck one piece format the most. I feel that's due to mostly the character's not having actual "supersuits" and due to them wearing clothing that people would associate with the character, which means things like the neck aren't covered typically you can see their skin when it comes to the neck so they would like a seamless look for skin tone when it comes to the head piece. Vader is usually the exception out of the Star Wars figures when it comes to neck connection format. Things like Marvel/DC, 1/6 big figures like the Hulk, Venom & Carnage (Movie vers), and their latest upcoming large Venom figure from SM2 game, those would be head connections with a minor exception for Garfield and Maguire No Way Home figures that have this weird head+neck one piece connection that isn't a ball joint. I'm no expert still even with this knowledge since I just collect and don't customize (like hard customize as in painting, dremmeling, the works of getting dirty). I attempt to kitbash at times, the latest failing due to said primary topic I'm discussing now in this point of head connection! This segues perfectly into the other type of connection that already has a neck on figure already: Phicen/TBLeague Seamless bodies (and 3rd party manufacturers like Jiaou Doll that are based off them).

The seamless bodies have an inner stainless steel endoskeleton. Their ball joint at the top for head only connection tyically is fat. Either people recommend an adapter or using sticky putty that I'm about to resort to but would rather have that snap firm connection you know since I have more than one variant of the character's head but sadly due to the proportions of the head to even fit an adapter plus get it on the ball joint require me to make some edits with tools I don't have at this point (main one being dremmel).

This is all to say those are the types of bodies you may want to research (Hot Toys typically uses Truetype bodies, don't know their latest model number that they've been using, not sure on the big figures though), ask a peer of yours in the community like the person who makes the MyIndy headsculpts (forgetting their exact user name Waruna?) or Cmonster (wonderful ppl down in CA - did some work for me that I thought was great and planning to reach out to them again for a possible work I'd like done), I recommend speaking to them as they're actual experts. I think they're friendly enough to offer some advice. Future apologies if I'm wrong and don't want to.....

Interested?: Yes! In that Parker (Tobey Maguire) headsculpt most definitely. Already looking pretty life like 3D wise. Would be nice if you paint as well. Good print and well done paint I'm sensing something that can knock the Hot Toys one well out of the park. For other areas to branch out to and ask, that would have to be done in a DM and I can give reommendations.

Not sure if you’d be interested but I’m always looking for 3D artists that make 1/6 props and accessories. I feel like there aren’t with artists doing it.

Alright, up and alert, had to setup with work as well. So, alot to unpack here. First, thank you for being willing to contribute to the 1/6 community even though you're not a collector. This really helps in providing more customization and options for those that want to do a bit more with their collection rather than rely solely on major/minor brand companies.

Figure Head Formats: Regarding your section about the figure head formats and the company that would be best to start off on in terms gaining a design path to follow, Hot Toys is the primary company that people modify/add-on to using custom heads possibly created from those like yourself. I've noticed with mostly the Star Wars figures, they use the head+neck one piece format the most. I feel that's due to mostly the character's not having actual "supersuits" and due to them wearing clothing that people would associate with the character, which means things like the neck aren't covered typically you can see their skin when it comes to the neck so they would like a seamless look for skin tone when it comes to the head piece. Vader is usually the exception out of the Star Wars figures when it comes to neck connection format. Things like Marvel/DC, 1/6 big figures like the Hulk, Venom & Carnage (Movie vers), and their latest upcoming large Venom figure from SM2 game, those would be head connections with a minor exception for Garfield and Maguire No Way Home figures that have this weird head+neck one piece connection that isn't a ball joint. I'm no expert still even with this knowledge since I just collect and don't customize (like hard customize as in painting, dremmeling, the works of getting dirty). I attempt to kitbash at times, the latest failing due to said primary topic I'm discussing now in this point of head connection! This segues perfectly into the other type of connection that already has a neck on figure already: Phicen/TBLeague Seamless bodies (and 3rd party manufacturers like Jiaou Doll that are based off them).

The seamless bodies have an inner stainless steel endoskeleton. Their ball joint at the top for head only connection tyically is fat. Either people recommend an adapter or using sticky putty that I'm about to resort to but would rather have that snap firm connection you know since I have more than one variant of the character's head but sadly due to the proportions of the head to even fit an adapter plus get it on the ball joint require me to make some edits with tools I don't have at this point (main one being dremmel).

This is all to say those are the types of bodies you may want to research (Hot Toys typically uses Truetype bodies, don't know their latest model number that they've been using, not sure on the big figures though), ask a peer of yours in the community like the person who makes the MyIndy headsculpts (forgetting their exact user name Waruna?) or Cmonster (wonderful ppl down in CA - did some work for me that I thought was great and planning to reach out to them again for a possible work I'd like done), I recommend speaking to them as they're actual experts. I think they're friendly enough to offer some advice. Future apologies if I'm wrong and don't want to.....

Interested?: Yes! In that Parker (Tobey Maguire) headsculpt most definitely. Already looking pretty life like 3D wise. Would be nice if you paint as well. Good print and well done paint I'm sensing something that can knock the Hot Toys one well out of the park. For other areas to branch out to and ask, that would have to be done in a DM and I can give reommendations.

Thank you very much for your in-depth explanation, it will be very useful. I'll investigate the bodies you mentioned, and I'll try to ask Waruna for some advices (I already saw his awesome work). I wasn't able to find Cmonster by that nickname though.

Tobey will be probably the first head I will try to produce if I finally see the process clear enough.

Thank you again for taking your time to answer, I really appreciate it.

Not sure if you’d be interested but I’m always looking for 3D artists that make 1/6 props and accessories. I feel like there aren’t with artists doing it.

Hi! sadly props are not my kind of thing, I only enjoy more organic sculpture done in zbrush. And to be honest I don't know if I would do a good job with it. Thank you very much for the offer though. If I ever feel capable enough to do props I will contact you!

Nice looking work. I'd follow you and see what you're offering. Best of luck, and welcome!

Thank you very much Pete! Love your work. Do you recommend me any really high quality course or tutorial to learn how to paint my sculptures? I haven't been able to find good stuff, and I always thought that in order to get become really good you have to learn from the best ones.
I was trying to look for some yelim.painter's walkthroughs, since he's one of the more well known painters, but I couldn't find any. Thank you again!

Thank you very much for your in-depth explanation, it will be very useful. I'll investigate the bodies you mentioned, and I'll try to ask Waruna for some advices (I already saw his awesome work). I wasn't able to find Cmonster by that nickname though.

Tobey will be probably the first head I will try to produce if I finally see the process clear enough.

Thank you again for taking your time to answer, I really appreciate it.
Pleasure. This is Cmonster by the way:
https://customonesixth.com/threads/1-6-scale-custom-zombie-body.195919/

They specialize in creature creation but do regular human based figures as well like Batman.

Back