Interest Kate Austen LOST?

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chig

I am not a sculptor. This was my first attempt.

I am going to buy some silicone and resin... (Actually I already have the stuff to make a silicone mold.) I am planning to do a few casts to learn and practice casting. I can make a few additional casts if anyone is interested in a cast of this sculpt. As I am not a sculptor, and I know there is another great Kate sculpt out there by a real sculptor which I suggest you check if you want to invest in a Kate head. I would not charge much more than shipping only once I have some finished casts which look suitable to send out. I figure this is more about me learning.

If there are five of you interested, I will know to get a little bit more resin, catalyst and opaque pigment for the casts. Let me know. I can't see me making much more than 10 to 15 casts if all goes well. (don't think my pockets are deeper than that)

Thanks
Bruce.... AKA Chig.

DSCF3234.jpg

DSCF3232.jpg

DSCF3231.jpg

DSCF3228.jpg

DSCF3240.jpg

DSCF3213.jpg

DSCF3214.jpg

DSCF3215.jpg

DSCF3216.jpg

DSCF3217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first attempt at a mold looks good, there will probably be some trimming to be done on the resin casts on the neck.... Guess I will know in a couple days or so if it worked. No takers... LOL I can't even give this away, evidently. Oh well, I will keep learning with some more sculpt attempts.

I think it's a great first attempt. Don't stop now! :)

Yeah, I would probably change up her right eye if I had not baked it too early. But there in lies the problem... I kept changing up major parts of the face over and over. I guess it is a sign that I have no clue what I am doing.

Thanks AllisonAmy, maybe I will try to make a Sun,Richard, Frank, Daniel or Jacob or MIB next which I can't even give away. :slap

Wow on your collection you are putting together.
Oh, I will check in on the guy with the boxes to see how far he has gotten. I like the idea of protecting the figures when not displayed.

I would love to see Lapidus.

Do you suppose the boxes will have windows?

Early on he described coffin type boxes, so I don't think they will have a window, but I can ask him if he would do that. He is actually wanting input on the designs when he has them ready.

He is a graphic designer by trade.

Note to self.... attempt Lapidus, in case I get lucky and it works.

Do you suppose the boxes will have windows?

I just received an email today. Here are the first examples of the box bottoms. One shows how they will look together. Let me know what you think.
Not sure why the color scheme does not display correctly here. Well at least you can get an idea of the design.

LOSTBoxJuliet_half.jpg

LOSTBoxSawyer_half.jpg

LOSTBoxCombo_half.jpg

Well, Duh. The guy designing the boxes tells me those are the lids to the boxes. So I replied "It would probably be weird to ask about putting a window in the bottom of the box?"

Those boxes look great chig! I think I´ll be interested in getting them, they look too good :)

Edit: btw I also think you did really good on Kate for being a first attempt at sculpting. I tried it (sculpting) once and couldn´t get anything half as good. Don´t give up and keep working! :1-1:

I will let him know he is on the right track with the boxes.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I have some studying to do before I attempt another sculpt. I am still futzing with Kate, trying to understand the medium... Oh I also am casting a mold of an earlier version of the head. Just trying to learn about that process as well at the moment. Anyhow here are some photos of the head on a body. I know there is an odd bump on the forehead. It will be gone in a sec. Anyhow... Weird, huh?

DSCF3276_resized.jpg

kates_head_on_body.jpg

kates_head_on_body4.jpg

kate_head_on_body3.jpg

kates_head_on_body.jpg

FYI.... Test casts are encouraging. I think I know how to pour into the mold to insure everything is filled with resin and bubble free. I will know for sure tomorrow morning.

Been busy replacing broken skylights and leaky plumbing... Just showing the first test casts. The third one I have not cleaned up.... smoothed out (just as it looked removed from mold). I am using these to learn how to trim and smooth, fill in the occasional bubble and cut (neck) and dremel out the neck. figured out how to pour into the molds to minimize defects. These were molded off an earlier version of the sculpt.

Also I should hear more on the boxes this weekend.

DSCF3281.jpg

DSCF3283.jpg

You know, it looks to me like a young Kate, like a teenager Kate, which is interesting :)

You know, it looks to me like a young Kate, like a teenager Kate, which is interesting :)

lol.... I actually took a razor to the sculpt tonight and thinned her face quite a bit and added detail, like eyelids slight crows feet and such. I am getting better mold making material next week. Well I have a handful of teenage Kates to play with until I can mold the finished sculpt. :) At least I know that making casts isn't that big of a deal now.

Well this is what she looks like now after basically tweaking about everything. LOL. Time to move on to another character I think.
kate_from_left_side.jpg

kate_from_top.jpg

kate_from_the_front.jpg

Just feeling guilty that I have not let a couple folks know that I have not received the boxes yet..... they are coming. In the mean time I learned that casting is not as easy as I thought it was. Once I added more detail on Kate's sculpt casting became a real challenge... Here you can see her on the body. I plan to trim the neck a bit once I have decided I have a proper mold... And I may do a version with her hair down.

Sloppily slapped paint on one of the so so castings to see where I went wrong. Other than I suck at painting, that brought out the problems with the eyes and generalized lack of crisp detail..

Gives me some idea of what to shoot for anyhow.

Still no boxes... sorry. I promise to let folks know when I have those.

Making another attempt at getting what I need to trade the guy for the boxes. I have received my Sawyer and Juliet Boxes. They look good. The guy who makes the boxes will trade me for a couple more.
So the two of you who expressed interest in boxes.... Please don't give up. The boxes really look great.

Back