Newbie Attempt at Dio

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solo_bones

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey Gents,

First off, I have to say that I have been watching this forum for months before I started collecting my sandtroopers. I have just started my first customs and I am a total newb.

That being said, I just got the urge to build a moisture vaporator out of what ever I could find at Home Depot. I haven't even built models as a kid, but I just went for it out of pure stoke of my admiration for Star Wars as a kid.

Anyway, I first started out doing this as an art project to add to our home, but then I tried to make it as real as I could. It's not anywhere near as nice as some of the others I have seen online, and i know it's not to perfect scale. I know where I screwed up....but at least it's cool...and it light up. LOL.

Alright....I am good with criticism, so don't hold back. If you have recommendations, before I paint, let me have them.

Thanks for reading, and glad to be a part of the forum.

9FCF46F8-D61E-4240-B232-16E7ABDBB3D2-11951-000007088B6B8162.jpg

560EA029-E69C-4591-8400-6244DE9E0B1B-11951-0000070802387B67.jpg

AFF8ED5E-1B93-4D14-82B2-C4EF8988B35D-11951-0000070806A67E53.jpg

1C551769-B90C-4897-972C-200428DBAAC9-10118-000005E7F4476A48.jpg

5F631EDE-495F-47EA-8F20-790E7E145D02-11951-00000707FFCE777A.jpg

18F9B948-9152-4B1D-8142-76562FC33F6A-10118-000005E7E7FBA8D4.jpg

Looks great man, nice work.

As I mentioned in the "Dewback" thread, I really like that area you have set aside for your display. Very cool indeed. :)

Hey Gents,

First off, I have to say that I have been watching this forum for months before I started collecting my sandtroopers. I have just started my first customs and I am a total newb.

That being said, I just got the urge to build a moisture vaporator out of what ever I could find at Home Depot. I haven't even built models as a kid, but I just went for it out of pure stoke of my admiration for Star Wars as a kid.

Anyway, I first started out doing this as an art project to add to our home, but then I tried to make it as real as I could. It's not anywhere near as nice as some of the others I have seen online, and i know it's not to perfect scale. I know where I screwed up....but at least it's cool...and it light up. LOL.

Alright....I am good with criticism, so don't hold back. If you have recommendations, before I paint, let me have them.

Thanks for reading, and glad to be a part of the forum.

18F9B948-9152-4B1D-8142-76562FC33F6A-10118-000005E7E7FBA8D4.jpg

Looks great :hi5:...but why paint it? Maybe it was at the Lars homestead and if their going to buy some second hand droids from some sketchy Jawa's, they sure as hell would of had moisture vaporators that were made from different parts/cobbled together? I'd leave it like it is.

Yep....looks amazing. I doubt SS could do better. No need to quantify with the "noob" tag. This looks as professional as I've seen, and I made one of these years ago

Very nice work indeed!! I need to start making Dios. First one is going to be a Superman one but I want to make an imperial style one for my Bad guy Cabinet and a Jedi Temple one for my Good guy cabinet

Mr. Bones. Again your work is outstanding. And I agree with the rest, the area for the dio is so sweet. I'm loving the lights on the vaporator too! Photoshop this mother Will!

very very cool... and honestly..who's to say that they don't come in different sizes...so how do you know that it's not in "Scale"?..right? i think that it looks pretty frickn awesome the way it is..maybe add some weathering and you'd be good to go....

Looks great man, nice work.

As I mentioned in the "Dewback" thread, I really like that area you have set aside for your display. Very cool indeed. :)

Thanks, Chaka. As I have said before, I have been watching your work for a while now, always looking for tips from your work. Yours was the first YouTube video I saw....the rework on the Santroopers with the Marmit buckets. NICE!

I'm lovin this display shelf....best part and bonus is my wife is digging the dioramas because now were not stacking junk on top :yess: and she's totally into it.

Looks great :hi5:...but why paint it? Maybe it was at the Lars homestead and if their going to buy some second hand droids from some sketchy Jawa's, they sure as hell would of had moisture vaporators that were made from different parts/cobbled together? I'd leave it like it is.
Oh yeah, that's a good one for why mines sort of a hodge podge delio. I should make the Jawa's stripping it. :lol THANKS!!

Yep....looks amazing. I doubt SS could do better. No need to quantify with the "noob" tag. This looks as professional as I've seen, and I made one of these years ago

WOW! Thanks man, way humbled. I think SS would crush it....but I really appreciate the kind words...i was just surprised it came out with the parts i bought. I just eyeballed it.:dunno

Very nice work indeed!! I need to start making Dios. First one is going to be a Superman one but I want to make an imperial style one for my Bad guy Cabinet and a Jedi Temple one for my Good guy cabinet
Daaaang, you are committed. Love it, man. Go big and post the photos...you guys are inspiring....I especially love that cantina work folks are doing....it's AMAAAAZING. And, thanks!

Mr. Bones. Again your work is outstanding. And I agree with the rest, the area for the dio is so sweet. I'm loving the lights on the vaporator too! Photoshop this mother Will!
Kash! Dude, you're the man. I appreciate it, buddy. You know I'm in such admiration of the work you guys are doing....and I don't know how this grabbed such a hold of me so late in my days...but it's been a wild ride, never been happier. I get some pretty good lighting at night here and it lights up pretty good when I flip the switch, but I don't think i have photoshop...got some other software though..hmmm? Thanks man!

very very cool... and honestly..who's to say that they don't come in different sizes...so how do you know that it's not in "Scale"?..right? i think that it looks pretty frickn awesome the way it is..maybe add some weathering and you'd be good to go....
Thanks man...:1-1: definitely working on the weathering...gotta finish the base coate...working on that now, but I'm kinda kickin myself for not really getting it closer, but I didn't have many other choices for scale.

Again, thanks to all you guys for the encouragement and all the work you guys put up.. Totally inspiring and a hell of a lot of fun to watch you guys enjoying life and taking this hobby to the next level...WAY, WAY, WAY COOL.

I just gave it it's last base coat...now it's time for some light sanding and a set it up for some metal base in some areas before I put the final coat on....then it's about weathering.

AFE6FD83-FDE7-47AF-B4A8-3EB791222E89-11951-00000727F0224E53.jpg

Here's what it really look like with the lights....

48233988-9B69-449A-B04D-B0A9B05253BA-11951-00000727F990E293.jpg
3F4FC5A1-A2B6-40AE-BCEA-22DE5DCE2899-11951-00000727FB9D75E0.jpg
036D3EF6-BF82-4BBA-8E61-860377A081B0-11951-000007281BABF2D7.jpg

Last edited:
Love it Solo Bones, Tatooine is my favourite planet in Star Wars and a moisture Vaporator is something I've always wanted to tackle. I just wish I had the space to make something this tall and also the skill to put lights in some of my displays.
I'll have to find somewhere to learn about Lights.
Any way... great work on this and the Dewback and I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks, Chaka. As I have said before, I have been watching your work for a while now, always looking for tips from your work. Yours was the first YouTube video I saw....the rework on the Santroopers with the Marmit buckets. NICE!

Thats hilarious, you must have been one of those 10 people that watched that video. I did that video a while back, Im glad it inspired you to get into the hobby .

You have reminded me that I need to go back and redo those videos. Pretty much all my customs have een redone since then. :)

Once again, awesome setup.

great work SB...............that evaporator looks very evaporatery.......:lecture

Absolutely great work ! As good a piece as I've seen on the boards , get some paint on it and weather the sucker ! ( And while you're at it , how about some kind of "recipe" to let us know what kind if stuff you used ? ):clap

Love it Solo Bones, Tatooine is my favourite planet in Star Wars and a moisture Vaporator is something I've always wanted to tackle. I just wish I had the space to make something this tall and also the skill to put lights in some of my displays.
I'll have to find somewhere to learn about Lights.
Any way... great work on this and the Dewback and I look forward to seeing more.
No doubt, I feel the same way about Tatooine. Brings me back to 77-78-79.

The lights weren't that tricky, just needed to hear from some experts on changing wire size to existing wires that were larger, was worried about shorting out circuit board. I found out that's no problem. If you've got some spare cash you can buy a complete set (board, lights, switch) online or make yourself. I recommend buying if you're not comfy making anything custom.

Hey, looks like you got a MV in the background...let's see that profile picture in larger size?

Thanks man!

Back