dls712's - 1/6 Scale Displays - Star Wars & Others

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m making some (slow) progress on BG-J38 and the gaming units. The figure and the consoles are mostly done. Still need a bit of refinement and then paint. After that I’ll finalize the lighted panels that fit into the game boxes.

I’ve been doing a bit of work on the arched area that these will fit into as well. So far I’m liking how this area of Jabba’s Palace is coming together.

Test shot of BG-J38 & game units before paint:

WOW! Just discovered this now and I'm awestruck! Incredible work.

I REALLY like the area for the original Star Wars figures. I remember those being all lined up under the tree at Christmas as well. The Death Squad Commander is really nice to see in that line up. Mind me asking what you did for the helmet?

Can't wait to see more.

John

Thanks Kozin -

The helmet for the Death Squad Commander comes fro the Hasbro Death Star Trooper figure - grabbed a photo off of ebay here:

My Commander is pretty basic... but number of folks on this board have done some excellent customs with that helmet. I suggest you check out Chakaman's custom thread... he has a number of photos and tips on putting together this guy and many other Imperial characters.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look for one of those.

I'll also check out Chakaman's thread.

John

Just spent a really enjoyable half hour browsing this thread. Thank you!

Any chance of some more discussion of the 1/6 Rancor you mentioned? I would love to know how you planned to make this and see any photos.

TD - thanks for the kind words.

As far as the Rancor Monster is concerned… I probably started on this 10+ years ago… worked on it a bit, and haven’t revisited it since. I used the old AMT/Ertl model as the basic inspiration.

That kit also contains a figural model of a Gamorrean Guard. I scaled that little figure up to 1/6 scale size to get the calculation to scale up the Monster model to 1/6 scale size.

The very basic framework of the legs and body and head is done… metal rod, wood, construction foam, wallboard joint tape and compound. Still a lot more to do if I ever decide to finish it... please ignore the layers of dust... has been in a corner in the workshop since I last worked on it.

The plan for musculature would be to apply the same technique I used for the alien tentacles I made for the Men in Black display, and for the creature I made for the Monster that Challenged the World display… aluminum foil covered in drywall joint tape and compound, then layers of white glue, then paper towel, then layers of white glue. The more layers of glue in the end, the smoother the creature’s “skin”.

For the Men in Black alien, I did just a coat or two of glue at the end. That resulted in a leathery-look (see close-up below). That look is probably a little too intense for the Rancor Monster at 1/6 scale, so this guy would probably need a couple more coats of glue than the Men in Black alien.

Back