INTEREST? Custom boxes for finished 1:6 kit-bashes

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A. Crosby

Super Freak
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I've spoken with several different companies that make boxes, and the only one to respond with a semi-reasonable quote said it would cost $554 for 100 pieces -- so $5.50 per box. The problem is finding 100 people who need one (or enough people who need multiple).

The measurements I requested are very close to Xenoviper's box for the Scorpion Driver -- size-wise it's the nicest of all the customs I've owned that came with boxes. It measures 13" (L) x 6" (W) x 3" (H). They are Kraft colour boxes, nearly identical to the images in this post.

Anyway, we need 100 to be spoken for in order to make this happen, so hopefully, enough people need boxes!

Is there a way we can have boxes made that can hold completed kit-bashes? I have a few figures built up but nothing secure or aesthetically satisfying to hold them in. I think it'd be cool just to have some nice Kraft boxes with detachable lids and foam inside to hold them in place, make 'em much easier to move/store/protect. I'm sure we could order in bulk to make it more cost-effective and worth the time, no? I've done a lot of searching in different places, and haven't found any that would be the right size.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 7.31.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 7.31.15 PM.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 7.31.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 7.31.09 PM.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Something like how Rise collectibles does?

Yeah, or something like that! I ordered a sample from a local company, so I'll see how it is. Comes in white, black and Kraft brown. The foam with Rise Collectibles' figures is pretty much what I was thinking. Just a block with a spot for the figure, and maybe a could slots in the sides for accessories, if necessary.

I use boxes from u-line and pick and pluck foam from a website called The Foam Factory.

I never thought about picking up some boxes and foam insert for my figures that are without. Great idea, keep us posted on what you find and if you like it.

Andy, how do you make the cuts in the foam?
Pick and pluck foam is precut in 1/2 or 1 inch squares. You just pluck out the general shape you need for the figure/accessory/whatever and you're good to go.

Here's where I get my stuff from:
https://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/pickandpullgridcr.html

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...K7qWRFNqCw_kngfMpJYaAp8CEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Uline is great for ordering in bulk. Good prices but you HAVE to order quantities. They have a lot of different options and sizes. Tee link I put up is a 14 x 8 x 5 box... perfect for a figure and a few accessories.

Forgot the company that makes that foam, thank you for that link! The sample I ordered is a little more shallow than that one, and maybe an inch wider. I always felt the shoebox was a bit too deep. I'll definitely keep you guys posted as I may order a few more samples.

Pick and pluck foam is precut in 1/2 or 1 inch squares. You just pluck out the general shape you need for the figure/accessory/whatever and you're good to go.

Here's where I get my stuff from:
https://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/pickandpullgridcr.html

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...K7qWRFNqCw_kngfMpJYaAp8CEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Uline is great for ordering in bulk. Good prices but you HAVE to order quantities. They have a lot of different options and sizes. Tee link I put up is a 14 x 8 x 5 box... perfect for a figure and a few accessories.
But how do you cut out the shape for the figure or the accessories?

Alright, so it seems the biggest problem is the price of having a custom box made from scratch, since it isn't built from an existing template. I've looked everywhere for a pre-existing box in a good size for figures, but they're all either not long/deep enough. I've asked for several quotes and most shops have said they can't do it because the price would be too high. However, today I got a quote of $5.50/box, but the kicker is that I need to order 100.

I'll try to get enough interest to make it possible for us, I have 3 or 4 figures that could use boxes so that leaves 96. I'll update the original post to reflect all the information I have.

I use the foam factory pluck foam, always works great. Also use the collapsible glossy gift boxes from the container store. The flap has magnets so they stay closed. The come in a few different sizes as well.

I use the foam factory pluck foam, always works great. Also use the collapsible glossy gift boxes from the container store. The flap has magnets so they stay closed. The come in a few different sizes as well.
Can you post a picture?

SAM_0712 - 1.JPG
SAM_0714 - 1.JPG

The Container Store makes 3 different sizes that could be used:
13" x 6-1/2" x 4-1/4" h (box pics above) - I use this size for pretty much every custom I have, fits the figure, a stand, spare hands, accessories. Foam ratio is 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" sheet on bottom and top and 3" x 1/2" x 1/2" in the middle
13" x 10-3/4" x 5-1/2" h - I use this box if the figure has a large amount of accessories that can't fit into a regular box
16" x 12" x 8" h - this box is huge so I fit 2 Walter White and 2 Jesse Pinkman figs in here with room for a ton of accessories and the hazmat table set.

Thanks for the pictures, looks great. So you order the foam in the exact size to fit the inside of the box?

Unfortunately no, the foam comes in different sizes of sheets so you’ll have to pluck out the excess to get the correct size to fit in the box. I use an excel file to graph out the measurements so I can get the most efficient calculations I can. If you (or anyone) decided to try this I have a few extra tips to save time and effort.

I need to get those boxes! Thank you for posting those. I have a container store down the street :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately no, the foam comes in different sizes of sheets so you’ll have to pluck out the excess to get the correct size to fit in the box. I use an excel file to graph out the measurements so I can get the most efficient calculations I can. If you (or anyone) decided to try this I have a few extra tips to save time and effort.
So what is your cost for each box including the foam?

Back