Diorama Two D-Day US impressions

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jda69

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm working on a project I conceived only three days ago. I'm hoping I can pull it together as I leave with the finished product in hand at the end of May. It's a thank-you gift for the honor of a lifetime.

I've been a student for 20 years of a single mission on Omaha Beach. In November I was asked to consult on a new beach monument being designed to commemorate it. Six weeks ago, I was invited to stay at the creator's home for the week so I might witness its dedication on June 7. I can't very well show up empty-handed after a gesture like that, and a box of grocery-store wine isn't likely to impress my French host. (!) There's no time for my preferred gift (hand-painted portraits in miniature of the two officers named in the monument, which I'd do myself), but there's maybe time to do this: two generic 1:6 officers, one Army, one Navy, studying a map.

Not just any map.

I have the battalion intelligence officer's operations map for D-Day for this very mission. In fact I have two scans of it. The first wasn't done for this purpose so it wasn't flat enough. While the second was being processed, I used the first to test whether or not the thinner-than-usual paper would jam in the printer. No problems, so I'm thrilled with that. I'm hoping to fold the paper to match the folds in the image. After I did this test photo, I received the updated scan and started to color-correct it. I still have to enhance the officer's annotations, but then it should be ready to go.

I've done most of my shopping so far (all weekend! but not many completed purchases yet) at zhukovsattic, monkeydepot, ebay, and war-toys. I have a few other new leads to look into. I'll have to get the helmets custom painted, but if I could ask what paints you would use on a Dragon (or similar) helmet so it doesn't wear off, I would tackle it myself.

Attachments

• SDC11752.JPG
    SDC11752.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • map comparison.jpg
    map comparison.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. Do you want to paint a helmet? If it's painted, you can paint over it and then seal it with a matte sealer. If it's raw plastic or resin, get the appropriate primer, then paint over it. Of course, you can go to town weathering it. You can buy the decals online usually, or you can print your own.
I'm not sure if you need anything with the map; are you just talking about it?
Good luck!

Hi, Petes. Thanks for the follow-up. I didn't come to ask anything but as it turned out there is a queston about a paint brand recommendation that occured to me as I was writing the post. The reason I wrote the post in the first place is because when I created a new account on this site the other day, I was directed to come and create a post about my currrent project because that's what the membership wanted to know. Seemed like a good idea; I wouldn't have done it just because.

However, if there are experienced painters reading these forums, you're probably in a better position than I am to know what sort of paint works well for taking that helmet in the photo (for example) and adding an invasion stripe to it. The craft acrylics I've used forever would almost certainly go on thicker than desired (even when thinned with water), peel or flake right off and certainly would rub off. It seemed like a fair question: "What paints would you use on a Dragon (or similar [meaning prepainted commercial product]) so it doesn't wear off?"

There was a hint of a suggestion in your reply about some sort of "matte sealer." Ok... will just any brand marketed for any purpose do it, or are there cheap brands and good brands like everywhere else? What would a person willing to share hard-won experience suggest?

Hey buddy, forgot that it mentions the 'introduce yourself', seems like an amazing opportunity! I'm a bit of a WW2 geek myself. Also, nothing wrong with sharing you cool next project. I was just asking because I wasn't sure if there was a question that I missed in the map part.

I use Golden and Liquitex acrylic paints and inks. I'm not sure what the helmets are made of, I haven't used DID military figures in years. But if it's painted already, you can go right over it. If its raw plastic, then you'll need to prime it. There are a ton of good weathering techniques, from chalks to washes etc. Even fine sandpaper to "roughen up" the helmet works.

For decals, if it simple, you can hand paint it, or tape it out and hit it with an airbrush. If it's just the stripe, you could probably just hand paint it. If it's anything complex, you can either buy the decal, I know many military hobby shops sell them in different scales, or you can get printable decal sheets and print on that and apply the water decal...

For sealer, I always use Super Clear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VRL5D7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey buddy, forgot that it mentions the 'introduce yourself', seems like an amazing opportunity! I'm a bit of a WW2 geek myself. Also, nothing wrong with sharing you cool next project. I was just asking because I wasn't sure if there was a question that I missed in the map part.

I use Golden and Liquitex acrylic paints and inks. I'm not sure what the helmets are made of, I haven't used DID military figures in years. But if it's painted already, you can go right over it. If its raw plastic, then you'll need to prime it. There are a ton of good weathering techniques, from chalks to washes etc. Even fine sandpaper to "roughen up" the helmet works.

For decals, if it simple, you can hand paint it, or tape it out and hit it with an airbrush. If it's just the stripe, you could probably just hand paint it. If it's anything complex, you can either buy the decal, I know many military hobby shops sell them in different scales, or you can get printable decal sheets and print on that and apply the water decal...

For sealer, I always use Super Clear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VRL5D7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hi, petes :) Boy, have I been on a heck of a learning curve in the last week and a half. I lucked out and found some Super Clear at Hobby Lobby. I've decided to use Tamiya spray lacquer and bottled lacquer for the markings, wait for it to dry, and weather it with Tamiya lacquer/acrylic. I do prefer in-person shopping but you are limited to what they have in stock that day. (I also found a weathering pencil I hadn't heard of before, and a perfect color I wouldn't have looked for online.) I'm happy with the choice... except I forgot to consider the lacquer vapors. I might still have made the same choice if I'd remembered; I like what lacquer offers for the helmet (as opposed to painting faces or web gear). I researched respirators and found one I think fits the need. I also found a low-cost SOTW figure that uniquely has the engineer gear I'll need plus all kinds of opportunities to practice painting. I'll add more here as it progresses --

Back