Accurate 1:6 Mal braces (suspenders) from Firefly

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
UPDATE: 21 April 2012 - List closed. Please continue to express interest by posting a message, because I will almost certainly offer these again in afew months.

Hi, fellow Browncoats.

I am offering custom 1:6 braces ("suspenders" are stretchy throughout, "braces" are not :)) for Mal. I have tried to make these as accurate as possible using 100% cotton ribbon and real leather. While they are designed for a Hot Toys TT Advanced, they are slightly adjustable and should work with any comparable body

picture.php

*This is the set of braces I made for Mighty_Jabba. I have since added an elastic part on the back to more accurately reflect the real braces.

Below is a Mal for my friend, that has a shirt and pants I made also:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

With more screen-accurate silver nail heads:
picture.php

Earlier example with ordinary doll buttons (Battlegear Toys pants):
picture.php

Each brace takes approximately three hours of work plus extra work staining the leather and other odds and ends.

Other than the buckles, these are completely hand made, so there will be minor variances/imperfections in any piece. The leather parts in particular are hard to cut identically by hand from piece to piece, since I do not have a die or other precision equipment.

I promise to produce each set of braces to a high standard that I would accept on my own Mal doll. I will also offer a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the braces.

Sewing/buttons: PLEASE READ

So the real Mal costume used metal studs identical to the centre button on blue jeans instead of ordinary buttons. I started off using grey buttons, but switched to the more accurate "nail head" silver bits as pictured above. You can use either, but if you want buttons, you will have to supply them yourself.

If you elect not to send me your pants, I will include 8 (2 extra) silver nail heads. Nail heads have a heat reactive glue on the back. They are properly affixed using a rhinestoning tool available at craft stores. You could at your own risk try gluing them on with a tiny amount of glue or carefully using the edge of a coventional iron at low setting to affix them.

These will need to be sewn onto your figure's pants with six appropriate doll buttons (silver/grey appears to be the most accurate colour). I do not have any extra buttons available unfortunately. I use a modified version of the Battle Gear Toys trousers, but these will work with any pants really. I do have to lengthen the back for SMcG pants, so please if that is what you are using.

I am willing to sew them on for a small additional fee, but you would obviously need to send the pants to me (I live in Seattle).

If you have the Battlegear Toys trousers, I can also tighten up the inseam for a small fee as well to help the pants fit better (Captain Tight Pants!).

Prices (updated):

Braces:
$48 shipped in the United States (tracking).
$55 shipped internationally (no tracking).

Add $0.50 for a thin quilting needle and a suitable length of thread to sew six buttons (specify colour of buttons you will use).

Pants alterations:
$5 to attach braces to the pants
$10 to add brown stripes
$5 to alter the inseam of the trousers from Battlegear Toys only.

Order process:

2011:
1. Mighty_Jabba [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
2. Old Grandpa [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
3. carbo-fation [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
4. zombierider [NEVER PAID]
5. LordAzrael [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
6. Corrose [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
7. tjg [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
8. tuck2197 [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
9. Protozaius [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
10. boba flint [FINISHED, SHIPPED]
11. stshammgod [FINISHED, SHIPPED]

2012:
12. thecapn [Finished. Paid. Shipped.]
13. gray [Finished. Paid. Shipped.]
14. ShadowX81 [Finished. Paid. Shipped.]
15. csi [Finished. Paid. Shipped.]
16. Gruff Old Bear [Finished. Paid. Shipped.]
17. backof [Finished. Paid. Shipped.]

Interest list:
18. Entropy [Finished. Paid. Shipped.]
19. dxdave
20. Justanuthercap

PM for ordering details. Will ship within 2 weeks of payment.

Thanks,
Victoria

Last edited:
By the way, the back design is based on this shot from War Stories:

picture.php

I could not find a shot of the very bottom of his back where it meets the pant.

UPDATE: I found some photos of his back finally and am going to make the for-sale version as accurate as possible, eliminating that final cloth segment on the back

The first three people's cloth frames are almost finished, but I need to get some leather dye at Tandy Leather (fortunately there is a store here in Seattle) so I can make the required finishing pieces in a matching colour.

Last edited:
The back that you can't see is a brown leather piece. I would get a set of these as they look fantastic but I went for the serenity look so I have the black ones.

I'd sure like a pair of those braces but, I'll have to find a way to use them. I'm useing the Batlegear trousers but I can't send them to you as I am using the Trevor resin boots and can't take them off. What kind of alterations do these pants need to make the braces work? Is this something I can do?

Old Grandpa

I'd sure like a pair of those braces but, I'll have to find a way to use them. I'm useing the Batlegear trousers but I can't send them to you as I am using the Trevor resin boots and can't take them off. What kind of alterations do these pants need to make the braces work? Is this something I can do?

Old Grandpa

I'll make some instructions and post them.

Edit:

There are two approaches to sewing these on:

1. Attach the buttons to the pants, then carefully make a small vertical slit in the flat part of the leather U-straps with a razor blade or hobby knife to create a button hole – just like a real bet of braces. Since they are real leather, they should resist tearing or stretching out of shape. I will send an extra U-strap just in case you do this and screw up one. [Edit: Since these are a pain to make, I will only send an extra with international orders. If you are in the U.S. and need an extra I can just send one to you upon request].

2. Sew the U-straps to the pant and then sewing the button on top of the strap. This is a more tedious method, but more certain of a good final appearance in my opinion. You will need to poke holes in the leather with a pin in order to push the needle through. To put the holes in the correct spot, just set the button on top where it should rest when finished.

Positioning the buttons on the front is something you will have to eye based on the pants and figure body you are using. The buttons should be off to the sides just as the waist starts to curve away from the front. The distance between the buttons, centre-to-centre is a little over a 1cm.

Battle Gear Toys specific instructions: Only two buttons need to be moved, the buttons at the sides of the pant. The two buttons on the front are in a good position already for the part of each U-strap nearest the centre. It will work out like this crude representation when looking at the pants from the front:

x∩• o •∩x

o - fly button
• - the original button in its original place
∩ - the U-strap
x - button being repositioned

Last edited:
Great work, Star Puffs. I have Chad's Mal pants that come with the suspenders already attached. Would you be able to take them off and attach yours on? If so I'll take a pair your suspenders and pay for alterations. :)

Great work, Star Puffs. I have Chad's Mal pants that come with the suspenders already attached. Would you be able to take them off and attach yours on? If so I'll take a pair your suspenders and pay for alterations. :)

Not a problem. Even with the Battlegear Toys you need to reposition all two of the buttons for the front U-shaped attachments.

Everyone else has been added in order of interest. I will probably work on one set of braces per day, starting with Mighty_Jabba today.

Last edited:
Those braces look amazing... add me to the list as well. And I think I'll take you up on a few of those alterations as well when the time comes.

WOW!! These are great. I have the Battle Gear pants and moved the two buttons as suggested. I cut button holes in he ends of the braces instead of removing all the buttons and sewing them on through the braces. This was a very easy task and I strongly endorse these. They were so easy to install and look so great on. Well done Star Puffs.

Old Grandpa

AMAZING!
I just got my order in and I am extremely happy!
The craftsmanship is very, very professional, the turn-around time and communication were both quite exceptional. Can't wait to get the rest of the pieces in and start putting together this figure.

Thanks for a really nice product!

Back