enterbay batman cowl in 1 6th scale

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why I'm asking "what is the standard"? If just shrinking or expanding other people's work is acceptable, I'm going to order some hydrospan and set up shop myself. I've tried sculpting, but I can't do it. I have some basic mold making skills and a huge collecting of resin and plastic model kits. I can resize a lot of those heads and accessories and suppliment my collecting budget. Of course I wouldn't do that as I feel ALL recasting is wrong, including tweaking existing sculpts. Other threads like some of the Hot Toys face plates being recast is quite disturbing.

So what is this sites policy on recasting exactly? As long as you change the size it's okay? I see people on here chiding others for adding beards and different hairstyles to existing sculpts and casting them, and then turning a blind eye to this kind of activity. If you can't sculpt it yourself you really shouldn't be making molds of someone elses work regardless if you are changing the size or not. I see nothing wrong with doing this for yourself, but if someone is molding and casting these, it's recasting. This is a general question and not pointing at just the original poster. What is the standard and who decides what is "okay"to recast and what isn't?

The way I see it, if the sculpt is taken from one scale to another, it is fulfilling the demand of a completely different market. It isn't affecting Enterbay's 1/4 Batman sales, and as far as I know, they have no plans for a 1/6 version.

we're talking about a mass produced toy here, and steven has frankly labeled it as what it is, and hasnt tried to snow people with the idea that it is anything otherwise. i dont think it's really the same as when someone sells recast small production stuff. and maybe it's hypocritical but i dont really take any offense to reworking stuff from the big companies cuz most of the time the full figure is still required to be able to use the modified piece. nor does it deflate the value of an original. i just don't really get the recasting argument beyond the issues of transparency. i am sure i will get snowed for saying as much. what we're talking about here is the ablility to improve an existing piece of a collection which is lacking in some way that bothers us.

So what is this sites policy on recasting exactly? As long as you change the size it's okay? I see people on here chiding others for adding beards and different hairstyles to existing sculpts and casting them, and then turning a blind eye to this kind of activity. If you can't sculpt it yourself you really shouldn't be making molds of someone elses work regardless if you are changing the size or not. I see nothing wrong with doing this for yourself, but if someone is molding and casting these, it's recasting. This is a general question and not pointing at just the original poster. What is the standard and who decides what is "okay"to recast and what isn't?

The way I see it, if the sculpt is taken from one scale to another, it is fulfilling the demand of a completely different market. It isn't affecting Enterbay's 1/4 Batman sales, and as far as I know, they have no plans for a 1/6 version.

This is the same sad argument everyone makes. "As long as it is something I want it is okay". Every person who recast someone elses work has an excuse for why they think it's okay. A lot of people, including yourself if I'm not mistaken, are lamenting the fact that Trevor Grove stopped doing heads because his work was being recast. Then you turn around and support a recasting effort. Size really doesn't matter. It's copying someone else's work for profit. It's not apples and oranges, it's apples and apples. Has this person ask Enterbay if it is okay to do this? I doubt it.

we're talking about a mass produced toy here, and steven has frankly labeled it as what it is, and hasnt tried to snow people with the idea that it is anything otherwise. i dont think it's really the same as when someone sells recast small production stuff. and maybe it's hypocritical but i dont really take any offense to reworking stuff from the big companies cuz most of the time the full figure is still required to be able to use the modified piece. nor does it deflate the value of an original. i just don't really get the recasting argument beyond the issues of transparency. i am sure i will get snowed for saying as much. what we're talking about here is the ablility to improve an existing piece of a collection which is lacking in some way that bothers us.

I understand that but why not encourage and support one of the custom sculptors here to create what you are looking for? I guarentee you the guy who is recasting Trevor and Rainman's head feels totally justified in what he is doing based on threads like this.

yes im in. I don't even think i've looked at a single picture of the enterbay thing but if you batman obsessed guys are telling me it's better than the hot toys one i guess i need to listen to you and i need one.

yes im in. I don't even think i've looked at a single picture of the enterbay thing but if you batman obsessed guys are telling me it's better than the hot toys one i guess i need to listen to you and i need one.

I think you probably have seen quite a few pics of the EB but just assumed it was screenshots of the real deal. :exactly::exactly: :lol

I do support custom artists, more than I buy mass produced work. And honestly I don't find the lines in the sand so stable: for me, they really depend on the case. And my desire of the piece isn't the issue; I have no need of a begins cowl, don't even have a begins batman and haven't really planned on it. But now, maybe I will consider it and buy one from HT to mod. So, they actually stand to get business.

This is the same sad argument everyone makes. "As long as it is something I want it is okay". Every person who recast someone elses work has an excuse for why they think it's okay. A lot of people, including yourself if I'm not mistaken, are lamenting the fact that Trevor Grove stopped doing heads because his work was being recast. Then you turn around and support a recasting effort. Size really doesn't matter. It's copying someone else's work for profit. It's not apples and oranges, it's apples and apples. Has this person ask Enterbay if it is okay to do this? I doubt it.

I've said before, recasting is a grey area for me. That grey covers issues like how I feel about the modification and recasting of a large company's work (ie the Batman mouthpiece you mentioned, which was an attempt to elevate the figure, and likely sold additional units for Hot Toys), versus straight recasting the work of a sole, struggling artist and hindering their sales. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite, I really don't care. Q was banned and Trevor left for a reason, I'm obviously not alone.

Didnt someone shrink the Indy pf head and was selling them now this too.

I've come to actually hate the HT sculpt. Almost to the point of boxing it up and selling it. The TF figure just pisses me off now.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back