Batman Returns glider ::UPDATED SALE INFO, SEE 1ST POST::

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoggieDoc

Super Freak
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, guys, my custom Batman Returns glider prototype is finished and I am ready to offer them for sale! The glider is composed of an all metal frame with a black lycra spandex cloth material stretched over the frame. There is a hinging mechanism in the back that allows the glider to be propped into a more flying postion versus the default "Batman symbol silhouette" that is so iconic from the movie (my preferred display method, personally).

The glider is 31 inches across and does not fold up. Though large this is true to scale from the film. The glider attaches via a simple hanging mechanism that is attached to the neck post and then hidden under the cowl once the head is reattached to the body. It is light enough for Batman to easily stand, on his own, with the glider attached (as you see in the photos).

I must construct each glider by hand, cutting and prepping the metal supports, epoxying them together, and hand cutting and attaching the fabric to the frame. I mention this only because it means these will take some time to complete once I have the orders.

The cost will be $125 plus shipping. Unfortunately I have no idea of shipping cost at the moment but I'm hoping I can keep it around $15 to the US. Once I have more information I will update with it here. I'm definitely looking into international shipping but obviously the cost is unavoidably higher.

If you have any questions whatsoever post them in the thread or shoot me a PM. I have posted several pictures of the finished glider in this post but feel free to request specific pictures if you want to see anything specific. I have also linked my previous project at the bottom of this post in case you want to check out what I have done in the past.

I have the previous interested list, which I will leave there, but I am starting a new, occifical list. Please only respond if you are interested and intend on purchasing a glider. I will then ask for either a deposit or full payment to secure orders to be produced. Thanks, everyone!

Original umbrella interest thread:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...a-1-4-scale-danny-devito-mobile-umbrella.html

Original umbrella for sale thread:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...uin-umbrellas-spiral-toy-mobile-avalable.html

Interested List:
1) Snake Plissken
2) wolf873
3) the11thdoctor
4) MADREX
5) Cicada17
6) partyman
7) highlander1
8) Andolini
9) guyver1

Official list:
1) Cicada17 (he called the first one:wink1:) - Paid - Shipped
2) highlander1 - Paid - Shipping soon
3) JeffTVR
4) bgnyc007
5) Brettski77 - Paid - Shipped
6) Snake Plissken
7) center68

Last edited:
Re: Batman Returns glider Hot toys 1/6

I realize I have nothing specific to show yet so interest may be low...apologies. I was just thinking about it today and so I wanted to get this out there. I will be working up some things to show off and I will update this over time.

I'd be interested and you should do your umbrella in 1/6 too.

I'd be interested and you should do your umbrella in 1/6 too.
Why is that? There is no Devito Penguin in 1/6...unless I am missing something?

Regarding the glider...started working out the general shape and size. I took measurements from the reference photo and scaled them up to 1/6...it's no wonder Hot Toys never made it. This thing is huge. 31 inches across...

2484738daf5d3328860db5acf634834c.jpg
abfa592f32ebac3c4e98e27aa9f85b10.jpg
938cf6b968c578e21558f9d7149c946b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Lots of custom options for Devitto in 1/6 - I have a head by Sean Dabbs that I'll be putting together a custom figure. Excited to see how this pans out - the glider is great!

Lots of custom options for Devitto in 1/6 - I have a head by Sean Dabbs that I'll be putting together a custom figure. Excited to see how this pans out - the glider is great!

I did not realize that! Well I have a good bit of materials left over so I could easily consider it. I'm currently finishing up my 1/4 umbrellas for those who requested them and then I will be moving on to the logistics of figuring this bad boy out.

Regarding the glider I bought some aluminum rods that are ~1/8 inch thick that I am considering using for the frame. Aluminum is good because it is light weight and bendable, however I am not sure how easy it will be to work with, and I want to make sure whatever I make it out of doesn't deform easily when handled. I also thought about using plastic but I don't see being easily able to manipulate it into the shapes I want. Casting resin into thin rods isn't easy, either, as any imperfections mean it gets very weak, plus resin doesn't usually have much ability to take bending forces before it snaps.

Very interested! If you're making them, put me down for one ^^

I'm very interested, pending pics and price.

this would be an amazing project but the batman suit is so restrictive I dont think it would hold the pose without damage, while it wouldnt be accurate I would prefer this for the 1/4 neca batman

Id be down too. Also depending on the price and final photos. But fantastic work on those umbrellas!

image.jpg1.jpg

this would be an amazing project but the batman suit is so restrictive I dont think it would hold the pose without damage, while it wouldnt be accurate I would prefer this for the 1/4 neca batman

I don't disagree with you here. I tried to put his arms up in the position seen in the photo and his arms wouldn't raise above the 180 degree mark (though I was using a dx09 not the Returns Batman). No matter, I'm still proceeding to see what I can do:). And holy hell, a 1/4 scale Glider? Let's see, my calculations say the 1/6th scale glider is 31 inches across... a 1/4 scale glider would beeeee.... approximately 45 inches across!

Id be down too. Also depending on the price and final photos. But fantastic work on those umbrellas!

Thank you! Just finishing them up this weekend, I hope, meaning I can start messing around with this to see what I can do.

A little update as I finally get time to work on this. My original plan wasn't going to work so I decided to try using this stiff plastic I previously bought as a support. I then plan on attaching the metal frame and ribs to this plastic and then stretching fabric over the whole thing. I'll looking what I see preliminary.

924f42fcd1f1aad3ebb52b040bf5341f.jpg

504ee575d6485cb1a1baff6e81a8f86e.jpg

ff8c605551bb689b18c6eb9a9c1dfabd.jpg
f500b3a89e8773e0a4f1f27556b604b9.jpg
877818f80d4af02c0a98fde485f4ea9a.jpg

This is looking really good! I hope it can be made affordable. I'd love to get one!

Sent from the bat cave

This is looking really good! I hope it can be made affordable. I'd love to get one!
Sent from the bat cave

Yeah I understand that. Materials aren't TERRIBLE but it is a time consuming process, especially since I will almost certainly solder everything together to secure the joints and get something out to you guys that won't just fall apart. I am conservatively thinking over $100 pretty easily. I hope that doesn't scare anyone off but like I said, these take a lot of work!

I am conservatively thinking over $100 pretty easily. I hope that doesn't scare anyone off but like I said, these take a lot of work!
You still have my attention! It's looking great!

Sent from the bat cave

Back