Batman Returns glider ::UPDATED SALE INFO, SEE 1ST POST::

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman Returns glider Hot toys 1/6

Alright, everyone, I added an "Interested" list to the first post. This is not a commitment, of course, but if you're truly interested let me know and I'll throw you on the list. Once I have the final prototype down I'll probably make an official sale thread and go from there with a price. My VERY EARLY guesstimate is in the $150 range plus shipping but it all depends on materials needed and time. So this is NOT a final price, but just something of a ballpark.

Anyway, this project has already been great fun and I can't wait to show you guys more. I'm hoping to get some significant progress done this weekend with the folding mechanism and the overall look. My big hang ups right now are figuring out how to get the fabric attached and looking good, and the mechanism to attach the glider to bats. My LCS just got multiple Returns Bats in and I think I might try to pick mine up this weekend instead of waiting for Sideshow shipping. keep your eyes peeled!

You can keep me in the list for the time being. This is a fantastic custom project. Far exceeds my expectations thus far.

You can keep me in the list for the time being. This is a fantastic custom project. Far exceeds my expectations thus far.

Thanks, bud... I'll keep you on there and I hope the future work continues to impress!

Definitely. What do you plan to do with it from where you got it now? Is it going to be covered in a cloth?

So the biggest difference from where it is now is I have an idea for adding a hinging system so the glider can fold up. It won't fold up to nothing, but it should be able to fold to a more compact form factor... good for shipping, good for storage. And yeah, the idea is to cover it in cloth. I could simply paint it black, and I think it would look decent, but covering it with cloth will give a much more believable appearance. I am trying to decide whether to try and cover the whole thing AFTER I build it, or cover the plastic backing with cloth and then attaching the framework OVER that.

Here is my idea for a simply hinging system..... the glider would fold at the red lines via small hinges where the orange boxes are.

Alright everyone, I need an honest opinion. I've been working on a folding mechanism and, though it technically works, I think it could be more trouble than it's worth. What are opinions on if this glider only came fully opened? In my opinion it well be far easier to produce and would look much better in the end....Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Well I decided to proceed with the folding mechanism because it looks way too cool.... We'll seer what happens!

e43bc02dbce5fb8e34dd434f801ba342.jpg
99f1a96cd297d13d5491b1317bfe1091.jpg
33664b91d3082625c63d27b9d24c767f.jpg

Ok so I decided to finish up a non folding glider. .. The proportions and overall look is obviously much cleaner. I was able to get some subtle bends into the supports that look write a but new accurate.

If it's stable thus way once the JB Weld dries I think I'd go for thus over a folding one. JB Weld takes forever to dry so I probably won't check this until tomorrow...How you guys are liking it!
783b007098b443e6dd9188d3c2608f5b.jpg

I like it a lot! I see how it's more accurate, since comparing it to the one pic of that scene, the inner section bars are slightly bent outward.

I like it a lot! I see how it's more accurate, since comparing it to the one pic of that scene, the inner section bars are slightly bent outward.
Exactly... The folding mechanism I built was definitely cool, but I think it robbed some details and maybe won't be worth it's own trouble. The slight bending of the bars gives it a much more organic feel and I think it matches the screenshots from the film much better now. Now I am just hoping it ends up sturdy!

Exactly... The folding mechanism I built was definitely cool, but I think it robbed some details and maybe won't be worth it's own trouble. The slight bending of the bars gives it a much more organic feel and I think it matches the screenshots from the film much better now. Now I am just hoping it ends up sturdy!

I'd much rather go for the aesthetic appeal over functionality.

I'd much rather go for the aesthetic appeal over functionality.

100% agreed. This thing is hard to make, though! Very time consuming....but so far it's turned out so great. Only real problem to solve is the cloth... And I can't really experiment with anything until I have a stable frame.

Would there be an attachment that goes under the cowl for support? Im breaking my head thinking of how it will attach and im not the one building it lol

Would there be an attachment that goes under the cowl for support? Im breaking my head thinking of how it will attach and im not the one building it lol

Haha I get what you're saying. Yeah I haven't 100% worked out attachment, though I have lots of ideas. The glider itself isn't very heavy so there shouldn't be a huge issue with it staying on... But my first plan was yes, an attachment that goes over the shoulders, under the cowl. It would almost have to be some sort of strap system since there is very little room under the cowl, and I don't want a big, bulky harness of any sort going OVER the cowl.

Ok so another question for you guys. I still want to see what I can do with cloth... BUT, if it was way easier and cheaper to paint it or use a black plastic as the glider "fabric", would that put anyone off? Essentially it would look just as it does now but all black. Obviously I am worried about flaking paint from a smooth plastic, but it could prove to be much easier than cloth, so I just thought I'd ask as I continue on. Let me know what you think.

I think most gliders are made up from a type of polyester plastic cloth, but i cant think of any plastics that would look natural over the endo-skeleton design. The direct paint job would lose the true glider look and end up looking too much like wings in my opinion. I feel that for the best appearance you need to go with a type of cloth, lycra spandex has a realy nice look and you can get a yard of it for about 13 bucks from Joan Fabrics. Performance Fabric - Rocker Matte Black Stretch Poly Spandex | Jo-Ann
turing sexy spandex to a glider suit lol

$_35.JPG
10flying.xlarge1.jpg

Back