Calling for Balance, 1/6 Vincent Van Gogh by Rocco

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Calling for Deposits, 1/6 Vincent Van Gogh by Rocco

Is the sculpt based on how Serang sculpted Van Gogh or how Van Gogh actually looked? It seems to share more features of Serangs stylized sculpt than the actual Van Gogh self portraits.
1114896c10cdc1dfda147302ae40cd11.jpg

I asked rocco to look at doing a sculpt very simaler to serangs cartoony like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you guys (Rocco and Joned) open to some tweaks to the sculpt so it's not quite as similar to the Serang? Not a full rework of course, but deviation toward reference material so there's no question to the untrained eye that this is not based on Serang's interpretation.

For me, the tweaks would start with:

1. A younger appearance (he died at 37)
2. No neck beard

Last edited:

Are you guys (Rocco and Joned) open to some tweaks to the sculpt so it's not quite as similar to the Serang? Not a full rework of course, but deviation toward reference material so there's no question to the untrained eye that this is not based on Serang's interpretation.

I know what your saying but I did this project to make sure it was like his for the people who payed and got ripped off .(never received)
This is done by a 3D sculpter
Different tailored
And the accessories by the 1 and only rob Jones
So it will be different
Simaler but better

Just let me know guys from everyone involved what you want. Thanks!

I know what your saying but I did this project to make sure it was like his for the people who payed and got ripped off .(never received)

I totally understand that. While I never bought the original, it's been one of my ultimate grails since 2013 - that said, I don't necessarily want a copy of a previous release if you know what I mean.

Would you mind if Rocco cleaned up the beard a little bit to remove the hair on the neck at least?

Yeh he needs to be younger looking.

well done on the speed, sooner than i thought.

would like to pace this out abit though for tweeks and thoughts so we can absolutely get the all time definitive piece. Going to print is pretty quick. Super appreciated but quick.

also whats the story with the pipe? Will it sit in his mouth or just a hand held item?

also i dont think the beard should be cleaned up. Finer detailed but not cleaned on the neck. I dont picture VVG as a clean cut guy especially always maintaining his beard like peps are nowadays. Shows hes more into his work than his beard / image.

Well, I'll hold off then until everyone pipes in. You guys wanted this piece, I'm honor to make it happen for you guys and girls. :)

I totally understand that. While I never bought the original, it's been one of my ultimate grails since 2013 - that said, I don't necessarily want a copy of a previous release if you know what I mean.

Would you mind if Rocco cleaned up the beard a little bit to remove the hair on the neck at least?

Yes ok bud lets do it

Here's a really interesting video of someone who morphed the Van Gogh self-portrait into a current looking photograph.

https://vimeo.com/57062858

It's going to be a very subjective process deciding which direction to go with the sculpt.

As someone who originally made the purchase from Serang, I wouldn't mind the sculpt being more accurate to Van Gogh himself than to Serangs interpretation. On the current sculpt, if it were to remain like it is, would be to thin the beard around the jaw line a bit and make the cheeks so that they were not so sucked in where they meet the beard.

Ok so we have 4 so far for realism, 5 including me :)

Those photo's are a good reference for the beard and cheeks. The beard is not so full on the jaw line and the cheeks should be a little more full.

I just posted the changes, the final is on page 1 as well. I went with his actual photo not the self portraits he made which vary greatly.

Updated list, its growing. My Facebook friends want in on this too now.

Back