Head sculpture [CLOSED] Leon and Matilda <BEASTMASTER> [PRE-ORDER]

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I've been meaning to update this thread as quite a bit of time has passed. Leon was being cast though I had to stop and fix his base which was too thin and kept breaking, which meant paying for another 3d print and getting that version cast. Though now my caster is on paternity leave which is hopefully end of this week, so I have to wait until he is back and see how far he has got with castings.

The good news is I really feel like the sculpts have improved dramatically since the renders on the front page. I also re-sculpted Mathilda's hair using advanced texturing techniques to simulate the antistrophic shine of real hair as well as adapting the neck connection to also accommodate Night47's new body.

I'm hoping to start shipping mid to end of August so will start requesting shipping payments once they are ready to go. Thanks for your patience on this. This is pretty frustrating for me too as I booked painting slots ages ago.

Sorry I've been meaning to update this thread as quite a bit of time has passed. Leon was being cast though I had to stop and fix his base which was too thin and kept breaking, which meant paying for another 3d print and getting that version cast. Though now my caster is on paternity leave which is hopefully end of this week, so I have to wait until he is back and see how far he has got with castings.

The good news is I really feel like the sculpts have improved dramatically since the renders on the front page. I also re-sculpted Mathilda's hair using advanced texturing techniques to simulate the antistrophic shine of real hair as well as adapting the neck connection to also accommodate Night47's new body.

I'm hoping to start shipping mid to end of August so will start requesting shipping payments once they are ready to go. Thanks for your patience on this. This is pretty frustrating for me too as I booked painting slots ages ago.
Any update or any news? Thanks.;)

Hey guys,

Once again really sorry for the long wait. I just realised I started this thread beginning of January!! :-O One of the reasons I don't usually release anything is that I'm too much of a perfectionist to the point where it gets a little o.c.d, so have had to re-iterate on the sculpts many times (in the limited hours I have in the week) to get a result I'm happy with. I've probably set up printed off around 15 different Leons! Also the head size and fitting has been very difficult to determine without the clothing set in hand. I originally scaled Leon to the hot toys Alfred head, though after much analysing of the Shumi costume size from photos, I determined it would look too small so had to re-analyse and re-size. As this is done I also notice inaccuracies that need to be fixed and so on. I'm also getting the head professionally printed on a much high end machine which expensive, especially after making a mistake on the size.

Mathilda has been the biggest challenge and costing much more to produce than Leon. I had to pull her from the casting as I realised her head was too long (though NP does have a long head), which meant re-shaping the hair and re sculpting the fitting and all the magnet pocket positions, then re-printing. It's also easier to spot mistakes in the prints that aren't very apparent in the digital model, so even a small fix means going through the whole printing setup process again. Mathilda is being made to universally suit all hair rooting and swappable hair requirements. Currently the way I have it you will need to heat up the hair in order to flex it open to insert the head inside, being careful not to scratch the paint. It's a bit of a pain in the neck, though ensures the hair is looking accurate and not like helmet hair :D

Going forward I'll only start taking payments once the sculpt is done and printed and ready to cast. I think I jumped the gun on this one a little.

Good news is this my caster is getting these done atm so the aim will be to get these out this month depending on order of payment. Please check your inbox for shipping payment request. Thanks for your patience!

Hey guys,

Once again really sorry for the long wait. I just realised I started this thread beginning of January!! :-O One of the reasons I don't usually release anything is that I'm too much of a perfectionist to the point where it gets a little o.c.d, so have had to re-iterate on the sculpts many times (in the limited hours I have in the week) to get a result I'm happy with. I've probably set up printed off around 15 different Leons! Also the head size and fitting has been very difficult to determine without the clothing set in hand. I originally scaled Leon to the hot toys Alfred head, though after much analysing of the Shumi costume size from photos, I determined it would look too small so had to re-analyse and re-size. As this is done I also notice inaccuracies that need to be fixed and so on. I'm also getting the head professionally printed on a much high end machine which expensive, especially after making a mistake on the size.

Mathilda has been the biggest challenge and costing much more to produce than Leon. I had to pull her from the casting as I realised her head was too long (though NP does have a long head), which meant re-shaping the hair and re sculpting the fitting and all the magnet pocket positions, then re-printing. It's also easier to spot mistakes in the prints that aren't very apparent in the digital model, so even a small fix means going through the whole printing setup process again. Mathilda is being made to universally suit all hair rooting and swappable hair requirements. Currently the way I have it you will need to heat up the hair in order to flex it open to insert the head inside, being careful not to scratch the paint. It's a bit of a pain in the neck, though ensures the hair is looking accurate and not like helmet hair :D

Going forward I'll only start taking payments once the sculpt is done and printed and ready to cast. I think I jumped the gun on this one a little.

Good news is this my caster is getting these done atm so the aim will be to get these out this month depending on order of payment. Please check your inbox for shipping payment request. Thanks for your patience!
Thanks as always for your perfect work! ;) (y)

Hey guys,

Hi Beastmaster, is there any update regarding both head sculpts? Cheers!

Hey folks, so was hoping these casts would be done though it's still taking a while. They sent me a grey sample which I looked at over the weekend. Overall looks really nice, the casting seam is at the side which makes it more fixable where it protrudes along the neck. I was't sure if the seam should be along the back of the head though this would interfere with the hair texture and be much more noticeable. The casts are being done now in beige resin. Once I get them I will do a clean up pass before they are shipped.

Mathilda head came out really nice as her tiny hair fringe casting, though unfortunately the hair piece is a bit of a disaster as it's covered in mold lines and there is no way to cast it without disrupting the hair detail. So whilst they are casting the heads (in beige resin) I will need to split the hair in two parts, re-print it and send it to them so they join together and we get to keep the nice details. Really not ideal though it seems like the only way to get a clean cast and 3d printing each hair is out of the question due to cleanup work alone. Once again thanks for your patience on this, I will try to post more regular updates from now on to keep everyone in the loop.

P1060010.jpg
P1060007.jpg

Hey guys, so thought I'd drop another update. I've asked the casters to put the seam at the back of Leons head as I feel like the sides and front of the face should be kept as clean as possible. Also I have had to create Mathilda's hair in two halves, which have been printed and prepped ready for sending off.

Though another spanner in the works is something I noticed on her face which wasn't apparent on the 3d print which is more translucent than the casting. This area of the mouth was quite harsh and didn't look right. So I've had to fix this and reprint the head. This is a bit of a nightmare as casting has already taken place, though hoping not too many were done as I've made some significant losses with these iterations. I'll be sending these off today and hopefully they can get them going next week. The pic below shows the new version on the left and on the right is the cast of the old version, doesn't look as bad as I tried to sand the areas down to see if that would make a difference.
DSC_1940.JPG
DSC_1939.JPG
mouth.jpg

Hey folks, just dropping another update. So looks like the project curse has struck again and Leon head is still tearing at the mouth due to slight overhang inside. This really isn't ideal given the number of molds that will need to be made each time this happens, so I need to get the master sent back to me so I can close the gaps more with putty. So more delays I'm afraid, though once I have the print it should only take me a couple of hours then send it back priority.

The good news is I will be receiving some casts that have already been done so will get those shipped out to people that have ordered the Leon head only.

1635264578906.png

Hey all, the first batch of Leon heads will go out to a larger order. These were the good casts before the molds broke (twice), so I've had to get the head re-printed with a few tweaks to the open mouth and nose that will make the molds last longer. The caster is working on this now. Mathilda heads should be finishing up for casting though still no word on the hair, so need to find out whats going on with it. In the meantime I've been cutting up 400 pieces of foam for packaging (never again!!)

Also nickwiz and Kwon mun tae please message me as I need your details and you are not responding to pms.

This project has been going on for almost a year, and I am very disappointed.Although it has been updated all the time, I can't get any results. I don't know when it will be delivered.I don't know how long it will take,Please hurry to finish, or give a delivery time.There is no need for more reasons. Enough time has been given, isn't there? Thank you.

Yes I agree, it's gone on way longer than it should have. This project has definitely not been as straight forward as I anticipated as I was aiming to ship these in March.

It would have been far easier for me to release a version I wasn't happy with and just correct it for myself in my own time, though I didn't want this to be a v1 v2.. thing. I've definitely got more experience from this project now and gained some good contacts to never repeat these sort of delays/mistakes again, as I really don't have much free time to myself to work on fixes. There will also be much manual work involved with processing and finishing the castings.

I do appreciate everyone's patience on this and here to answer any concerns or questions you have. I'll be posting images of the final Leon head this week (from the small batch I already received) as well as the Mathilda castings, as I realised I've not done so here in the thread.

Yes I agree, it's gone on way longer than it should have. This project has definitely not been as straight forward as I anticipated as I was aiming to ship these in March.

It would have been far easier for me to release a version I wasn't happy with and just correct it for myself in my own time, though I didn't want this to be a v1 v2.. thing. I've definitely got more experience from this project now and gained some good contacts to never repeat these sort of delays/mistakes again, as I really don't have much free time to myself to work on fixes. There will also be much manual work involved with processing and finishing the castings.

I do appreciate everyone's patience on this and here to answer any concerns or questions you have. I'll be posting images of the final Leon head this week (from the small batch I already received) as well as the Mathilda castings, as I realised I've not done so here in the thread.
Personally think 3d printing the Headsculpt will be way way faster than casting and avoid the problem like shrinking, mouth and hair problems. But yeah if you feels like going with the casting , I ll be patient, no rush mate 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

Hi Beastmaster, why still not send the Leon head sculpt? we are waiting long time ago, any news can update to us?

I've paid the caster, so waiting on them to finish the castings. Last news was that they made the new fixed 3d print and will start casting it. Though are sending a batch from the previous castings (supposed to arrive last Friday though didn't come) I've still not gotten a clear answer from them regarding the Mathilda hair casts even though I keep asking. I think they are busy with lots of other work. Problem is I've paid upfront for everything so I have to wait. It's very difficult to find experienced head casters in the UK and this is their first time working with this sort of thing. Hopefully the batch of Leons will arrive today, though I wont be shipping until Christmas is over as postal system will be chaos.

Back