Batman Returns glider ::UPDATED SALE INFO, SEE 1ST POST::

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your logic in it. I mean if that's the best you could do, I can live with that. Isn't like there's anything else we could go with anyway.

By the way. Everything looks fine visually, but it's more a question with the figure itself. Can his arms go completely parallel to the floor at the elbow? I see yours are somewhat tucked, and the film his arms are straight out to the point of the elbow.

I see your logic in it. I mean if that's the best you could do, I can live with that. Isn't like there's anything else we could go with anyway.
Haha that could almost sound condescending... "If that's the best you can do!". I know that's not how you meant it, I just found it funny:lol. But like I said I will definitely look into possible solutions. I will also get some pics posted that AREN'T lit from the back... it's quite different when seen with more frontal lighting.

By the way. Everything looks fine visually, but it's more a question with the figure itself. Can his arms go completely parallel to the floor at the elbow? I see yours are somewhat tucked, and the film his arms are straight out to the point of the elbow.

Yeah unfortunately I was under the impression his joints were ratcheted, meaning he could hold the pose better than past figures. However I have come to find that the ELBOWS are ratcheted but the shoulders don't seem to be... thus, the arms can go to a paralell position but they don't HOLD that position... not on my figure at least. Maybe others could chime in here? I say this only because I have seen plenty of photos with the figure's arm straight out (usually holding the grapple gun) so maybe there is just a little posing trick I have to this point missed.

I didn't mean for it to sound condescending :lol you can only do what you can.

Sucks about the shoulders. Typical Batman figure, that's for sure.

I didn't mean for it to sound condescending :lol you can only do what you can.

Sucks about the shoulders. Typical Batman figure, that's for sure.

Yeah I know. I thought it felt like there was a bit of an undersuit almost in this figure to provide padding. I don't recall the dx09 feeling that way... I felt the rubber suit just restricted movement in and of itself. In the Returns figure the rubber suit seems thinner but feels like there is an undersuit causing the motion restriction. Again I didn't do a TON of messing with the arms yet but that was the best I could do in order to get pictures to you guys a little sooner. Still looks but but I understand doesn't match the picture from the film exactly.

So to be clear, I will see what I can do about the transparency (maybe a thicker fabric that still stretcheds, maybe doubling up the fabric if it doesn't introduce new issues), but in the end if it sacrifices the look of the overall package I probably won't change anything. I hope that's not a deal breaker for anyone. I also plan on doing a little bit of work on the "claws" above the wings because right now I think they look a bit too thin and not quite pointy enough. But that will be an easy change.

Just a suggestion - maybe you could use some kind of black spray paint / emulsion that hardens in a sort of rubber or plastic material when it drys. That way the transparancy problem could be solved and the wing would also be more rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a suggestion - maybe you could use some kind of black spray paint / emulsion that hardens in a sort of rubber or plastic material when it drys. That way the transparancy problem could be solved and the wing would also be more rigid.

Definitely considered that... but then you run into an issue with rigidity. The glider being rigid is not screen accurate, either. When you watch the scene you'll notice the glider springs out and looks almost like parachute material when he jumps off the building... so not see through, but not rigid.
Here is a picture of the model they used for some of the scenes. Notice how A) flexible the fabric is and B) How iit almost appears shiny, like parachute material.

And on top of that, spraying the cloth and then allowing it to dry would likely result in cracks over time. I originally was using a piece of very flexible plastic as the glider material (you can see photos earlier in this thread). But it looked WAY too rigid and not cloth-like at all.

And this photo here is a tad deceiving, I think... you can see that the fabric is not see through, but it is also not thick AT ALL. If you look at the wing to the right of the photo you can see it almost billos and folds a bit... that is because it is thinner material, NOT the same material as his cape.

Definitely considered that... but then you run into an issue with rigidity. The glider being rigid is not screen accurate, either. When you watch the scene you'll notice the glider springs out and looks almost like parachute material when he jumps off the building... so not see through, but not rigid.
Here is a picture of the model they used for some of the scenes. Notice how A) flexible the fabric is and B) How iit almost appears shiny, like parachute material.

And on top of that, spraying the cloth and then allowing it to dry would likely result in cracks over time. I originally was using a piece of very flexible plastic as the glider material (you can see photos earlier in this thread). But it looked WAY too rigid and not cloth-like at all.

You are right of course, but nevertheless I think it would look much better with something like this coated on the fabric:

[video=youtube;QS1rMoSVgBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1rMoSVgBs[/video]

Around minute 5 of the video you can see that the spray turns into a flexible membrane that would solve the transparency and yet stay flexible enough to simulate the fabric material. It also gives a nice shine to the glider resembling more to the screen one.

One question that remains unanswered is the durability of this coating, but if it is used for exterior car parts it must be durable enough.

You are right of course, but nevertheless I think it would look much better with something like this coated on the fabric:

[video=youtube;QS1rMoSVgBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1rMoSVgBs[/video]

Around minute 5 of the video you can see that the spray turns into a flexible membrane that would solve the transparency and yet stay flexible enough to simulate the fabric material. It also gives a nice shine to the glider resembling more to the screen one.

One question that remains unanswered is the durability of this coating, but if it is used for exterior car parts it must be durable enough.
Yep this is the sort of thing I considered. But I feel there's quite a difference spraying it on a rigid object and how it behaves versus spraying it on cloth and seeing how it behaves. As I have always stated, though, I am open to suggestions and am always willing to see what works! I'll look into it.

I always wondered. Where in his ass does he fit that thing? :lol It seemingly comes out of no where.

Haha, totally agree! It's the same idea I was talking about before, reconciling the movie magic with reality. No way he hides that thing under his regular cape:lol.... OR in his ass... at least I hope not!

Yep this is the sort of thing I considered. But I feel there's quite a difference spraying it on a rigid object and how it behaves versus spraying it on cloth and seeing how it behaves. As I have always stated, though, I am open to suggestions and am always willing to see what works! I'll look into it.

It may work even better with fabric, bonding wise, because tje fabric has more texture and pores for the spray to saturate and bond even better.
But it is all speculation, no guarantees, so it would have to be trail and error method of conformation.
Your product is beautiful as it is, so don't think I am critisizing, I just gave an idea how to possibly make it even more awesome!
Good work!

Your product is beautiful as it is, so don't think I am critisizing, I just gave an idea how to possibly make it even more awesome!
Good work!

Hey constructive criticism is always welcome:clap. I have always maintianed that I like working WITH you guys to get something out that is satisfactory. If you don't mind my asking, are you interested in a glider at all, or just offering suggestions? It doesn't matter either way, I was just curious.

Hey constructive criticism is always welcome:clap. I have always maintianed that I like working WITH you guys to get something out that is satisfactory. If you don't mind my asking, are you interested in a glider at all, or just offering suggestions? It doesn't matter either way, I was just curious.

I am interested, pending some improvements in regards to concerns I raised (transparency).
But this doesn't mean that I won't order nevertheless...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am interested, pending some improvements in regards to concerns I raised (transparency).
But this doesn't mean that I won't order nevertheless...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha, good to know:). I will see what happens with possible improvements to the transparency and, as awlays, will keep this thread updated.

On the Transparent topics real batwings are kinda transparent a plus in my eyes. A minor nitpick not at all concerned about again love the above display. It's perfect IMO.

Hey, everyone, PMs went out today with specific shpping quotes and my PayPal address. I will likely be heading out tomorrow to pick up supplies so I can get started. Please allow for a few weeks at least since I have to make these guys one at a time, and there is reasonable drying time for the epoxy and paint. Thanks again!

And as an aside, I will still look into the transparency issue for those that were wondering about it, but if I don't find a reasonable solution that doesn't dramatically increase the cost or the compromise the overall look, then I will just have to leave well enough alone. Thanks, again:wave

Oh and remember, this is NOT a closed run or anything... anyone interested still or anyone new to the thread feel free to PM me if you want a glider, I will continue to make them for at least the time being.

Back