Terminator 2 MM1 Grenade Launcher: LIST CLOSED, SHIPPED

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Terminator 2 MM1 Grenade Launcher NOW ACCEPTING PAYMENT 2/28 SEE POST 1

the cable connecting part does magic tricks there. first it's not cone-shaped and not black, very different from your variant (0:03 - 0:04), and then it's an exact copy of yours, but the cable turns black, too (2:27). don't know how to make screenshots of youtube.
the box back's shape also changes - from 90 degrees in the beginning to a round one later. couldn't they use the same box both times? :slap

damn that scene can cause tears.

I know it seems different, but I believe the cable it the same every time. I haven't finished the cabling for the replica, but what is happening is the cable itself is black, which the replica's will be once I cover it in the black shrink tube. Up toward the connector there is some sort of mesh cage around the cable. This gives it that cone shaped appearance, and IS present in every shot, it's just not as visible in that second screenshot you posted.

That mesh cage is there for a reason... to protect the cable where it connects to the box. Since it's an inflexion point, it's the most likely place the cable will be damaged or frayed, so the mesh is there to provide extra support. You can also see a sort of twisted, vertical wire coming out sideways from that mesh thing. That is there to hang the control box against a wall or whatever.

I still haven't quite decided how I am going to accomplish the metal cage, but I have a few ideas.

In regards to the color, I actually thought it was a bit yellower as well. However the original screens a-dev posted and the video you linked show it to be more of a weird greenish/cream colored and very dirty. I think it only appears yellowish at times in the scene due to the harsh lighting from the molten metal.

but... but i posted pictures showing that the shape of box and connector's shape and color changed throughout that scene :(
and the second picture actually shows the shape of connector you made, different from the beginning of that scene where it was more like 0 in profile cut. it also shows a different shape of box bottom.
i love the box as it is, but don't say those differences in the movie itself are not there when i see them :panic:
as for the color, i mentioned what i thought, just like as you did, and searched for the video specifically to refresh my memory. your color is perfect.

That'll do the job nicely! Looks excellent

That'll do the job nicely! Looks excellent
Thanks!

but... but i posted pictures showing that the shape of box and connector's shape and color changed throughout that scene :(
and the second picture actually shows the shape of connector you made, different from the beginning of that scene where it was more like 0 in profile cut. it also shows a different shape of box bottom.
i love the box as it is, but don't say those differences in the movie itself are not there when i see them :panic:

I understand what you're saying. I guess I am just trying to say I think some of the apparent differences have to do with the angles you are seeing things as well as the clarity of the image.

Here are the pics you posted...

Green circle is the actual connector to the box, red circle is the wire mesh thing, and yellow arrow is the single wire wrapped around and sticking out sort of sideways. To me everything seems to match up just fine, though the second image is QUITE blurry so making out the detail of the single wrapped wire is a bit tough to do.

Either way it doesn't matter... this is always an issue with movies and continuity. They often times DO use multiple different versions of props, sometimes in error, sometimes for practical reasons, and this makes replica making very difficult sometimes! Because then I have to decide exactly which version to go with, so I totally get your dilemma with it.

5vqMZQB.jpg

o3PpK9z.jpg

Really delighted with how that control box is looking. I've got it open in a tab and keep going back to look at it.

Terminator 2 MM1 Grenade Launcher NOW ACCEPTING PAYMENT 2/28 SEE POST 1

Really delighted with how that control box is looking. I've got it open in a tab and keep going back to look at it.

Awesome, thank you! That's quite the compliment.

I went out looking for heat shrink tubing today and man, is it hard to find. Looks like I'm going the Amazon route.

A question... The plan is to include about 12 inches of the poseable cable. Does that seem adequate? Interestingly the cable is the single most expensive part of the whole thing! Including about a foot of cable I think is good for poseability but cost is pretty good for that amount.

Oh and a question about the dolly.... I want to be sure about the color, but it looks gloss black to me. For some reason I thought it was blue but when I looked at the screenshots I came back thinking it is black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the dolly cart is gloss black.

As for the cable, 12 inches does indeed sound like enough. Unless someone was going to actually modify the control box with electronics and hook it up to a power supply it won't be an issue I wouldn't think.

Batch one is in!

I have to do some light finishing work then assembly. After that I'll decide what sort of paint/sealer to do.

The casts are amazing, by the way. You can make out the individual serial numbers I modeled in!

a716bb076f86322fa4873aa1d286afaa.jpg
afce014cd6b237130a3acca0b5cfe909.jpg
2ba857da207bb2f928cf754882149907.jpg
ea4e45abfa02042853c7d6c7dbd10bb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Magnificent. :yess:

I understand what you're saying. I guess I am just trying to say I think some of the apparent differences have to do with the angles you are seeing things as well as the clarity of the image.
i'm definitely seeing differently shaped and colored parts in two green circles you made :)
for a moment i thought that black fabric is you standing in the magician's robe, showing magic about creating those launchers :clap

Alright here is one assembled, along with a hand, and then alongside the 1:10 scale.

This assembled launcher was sanded but not finished or painted, so that's why it looks a bit uneven in color.

c806520995f5bdaaf1631b6f5156106c.jpg
6ca57d12f971ef3c3bc2859c407167d7.jpg
faa5f7c3d4dc6b3a8b0fa744bad95a86.jpg
4fd9464bb4226231245189ce87f6494c.jpg
e100fc77f7ae8bf6dea101dd7a02add7.jpg

Probably should have sanded and polish the 3D print before making casts? Now seems like you have more work to do.

I did sand beforehand. This sanding was to get rid of flashing and imperfections from molding. There is definitely a bit if texture that likely won't be perfectly smooth but it will look great.

Ah ok i see~

What I meant by uneven is that I only had to sand some areas and not others. This makes some areas look lighter and duller while other areas are pretty jet black.

I'll be doing a little experimentation with paint versus sealer to make sure we get a nice even look across the whole gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic, I love the grips.

Looks fantastic, I love the grips.

Thanks! Since you only got the 1:10 I may be able to send yours out almost immediately. Essentially you would be getting the one I painted and have showed off in all the pictures:)

The serial number and where the actual grenades are housed are a great touch too. Just noticed that. If I had kept my Hot Toys Sarah Connor, I would have bought a control box. I love that bendable cable.

Since you only got the 1:10 I may be able to send yours out almost immediately. Essentially you would be getting the one I painted and have showed off in all the pictures:)

The experimental sticky paint thinner one?! :horror

The serial number and where the actual grenades are housed are a great touch too. Just noticed that.

The experimental sticky paint thinner one?! :horror
Haha it turned out fine but I'm happy to do yours new, haha.

Back