YUNSIL Princess Leia white dress SOLD OUT

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is this coming from?

Weren't this entire section suppose to be closed a few times before, but nothing happened?

I think previously there was pressure from individual manufacturers. This time it's Sideshow.

Sideshow recently sent out an email to affiliates letting them know that if they allowed the solicitation of unlicensed products, that sideshow would terminate their affiliate account.

Here's the text from the email I got:

Dear Affiliate,

We’re contacting you today about the potential sale of*unlicensed*custom artwork and sculptures (customs) through your platform.

Unlicensed*customs are statues, portraits, figures, accessories or 2D works of art produced without a license agreement between the creator / artist and the legal entity which owns the intellectual rights.

Historically,*unlicensed*customs were limited to singularly produced items, focused on individual collectors looking to satisfy unique requests for their personal collections. We have entered an age in which the practice has now grown into full-fledged illegal enterprises, producing these*unlicensed*items in medium quantities and *mass production. Some examples are:

·*********Deadpool statue produced without permission from MARVEL

·*********Sixth scale sculpted portrait of an actor without permission from that actor or rights holder of the character the actor is portraying.

·*********Unlicensed*Superman swappable portrait for a licensed statue without permission from DC Comics.

As Sideshow continues to work with license holders to combat this illegal practice, we are taking a critical look at our advertising associates and their own practices on curbing*unlicensed*customs. We believe it is crucial not only to be supportive of our advertising affiliates, but to also receive reciprocal support in that relationship.

To our great disappointment, some of our current affiliates have openly allowed discussions of*unlicensed*customs, hosted picture galleries of*unlicensedcustoms and encouraged or facilitated the sale of these items through their Facebook groups / pages, forums, private messaging and other methods.

Therefore, Sideshow has made the critical decision that beginning on June 9th, any affiliate who continues this practice will have their accounts terminated, and all commissions, pending or owed, canceled.

To help you understand what we consider a violation of our affiliate agreement, here are some activities we consider illegal. Please note, this list is not complete and serves only to help clarify the issue:

·*********Renderings, both 2D and 3D, of licensed entities that could be construed as available for sale via public post or private message.

·*********Posts/mentions on your associated outlets to solicit*unlicensed*customs.

·*********Participation by your affiliate accounts, or individuals associated with your account, in the discussion of customs.

·*********Allowing known*unlicensed*custom artists, manufacturers or entities to post freely on your forum, social feeds, groups, etc.

·*********Posting imagery or videos of custom pieces.

As a valued member of our community, we look forward to a long advertising relationship with you and we greatly appreciate your help and cooperation in this matter.

If you have questions or concerns about our actions related to*unlicensed*customs, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

* * * * * * * Jennifer

Personally I'd tell sideshow to **** off, but Dave may want to go a different route.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What about characters for whom Sideshow does not hold a license?

For instance, does Sideshow have the Pirates of the Caribbean license? If not, why do they care? Because of their relationship with Disney? If so, then its more of a corporate relationship thing, not individual licenses.

What about characters for whom Sideshow does not hold a license?

For instance, does Sideshow have the Pirates of the Caribbean license? If not, why do they care? Because of their relationship with Disney? If so, then its more of a corporate relationship thing, not individual licenses.

Its not just Sideshow licenced products from the way I understand it. It's anything unlicensed.

This is pretty clearly aimed at the affiliates whom are clearly promoting unlicensed product alongside licensed product.

Folks like YouTubers have videos of "Look at my great new Deadpool figure from Sideshow" and then the next video on their playlist is "Look at this amazing new Red Suit Killer from Crazy Toys, it's just like Sideshow's but cheaper". And when Sideshow is literally paying these YouTubers to promote their products, of course they're going to have a problem with that.

This is the next logical step that follows from the whole Heavy Armored Special Cop debacle, when that figure more or less went viral, and the 2000AD licensor went ballistic. Now we have a bunch of blogs and YouTubers promoting licensed and unlicensed stuff alongside each other as though they are equals. It's creating confusion in the marketplace, which is what copyright law is clearly designed to guard against. Most consumers don't understand that the figures they are buying are illegal.

The simple fact is unlicensed figures are illegal. This hobby operates in a gray area of the law. Sideshow's letter outlines that, as they freely admit that customs and unlicensed figures have grown from one guy making a handful of figures in his garage, to factories making hundreds if not thousands of unlicensed figures and distributing them worldwide.

What I'm waiting for is for Sideshow to stop selling to places like BBTS, Timewalker, etc, if they don't agree to stop selling unlicensed stuff. That would be really interesting, but instead Sideshow is picking on the small fish, to see if they can just kill the demand for this stuff.

Anyways, I believe this forum is safe as Dave has always been willing to bend over backwards to acquiesce to Sideshow.

And as has been mentioned previously, we've done this dance numerous times before, Dave has to close down a thread and everybody screams that the sky is falling and the hobby is doomed, and the forum is over, and . . . oop, I just had an aneurysm.

If HT got the damn dress right in the first place, there wouldn't be a need for custom work.

At the end of the day, we're talking about 100 people for this project (and normally much less for most customs) - which would probably be less than .01% of all Leia's sold worldwide. I can't see how this would have "hurt" HT?

Should we change the name of this thread to “Princess Dress” or “Nondescript White Dress” just to be safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should we change the name of this thread to “Princess Dress” or “Nondescript White Dress” just to be safe?

It's kinda funny when it's a silly name, but thinking that you can change the name of something to make it not a copyright violation just confuses the issue. It's still a violation.

Though the issue around whether clothing is protected by copyright is something I'm not 100% sure on, the fact remains that even if the law says it's okay, Sideshow can still not want it to happen and ask Dave to shut it down, and he probably would.

The title of the thread has nothing to do with anything.

This is pretty clearly aimed at the affiliates whom are clearly promoting unlicensed product alongside licensed product.

Folks like YouTubers have videos of "Look at my great new Deadpool figure from Sideshow" and then the next video on their playlist is "Look at this amazing new Red Suit Killer from Crazy Toys, it's just like Sideshow's but cheaper". And when Sideshow is literally paying these YouTubers to promote their products, of course they're going to have a problem with that.

This is the next logical step that follows from the whole Heavy Armored Special Cop debacle, when that figure more or less went viral, and the 2000AD licensor went ballistic. Now we have a bunch of blogs and YouTubers promoting licensed and unlicensed stuff alongside each other as though they are equals. It's creating confusion in the marketplace, which is what copyright law is clearly designed to guard against. Most consumers don't understand that the figures they are buying are illegal.

The simple fact is unlicensed figures are illegal. This hobby operates in a gray area of the law. Sideshow's letter outlines that, as they freely admit that customs and unlicensed figures have grown from one guy making a handful of figures in his garage, to factories making hundreds if not thousands of unlicensed figures and distributing them worldwide.

What I'm waiting for is for Sideshow to stop selling to places like BBTS, Timewalker, etc, if they don't agree to stop selling unlicensed stuff. That would be really interesting, but instead Sideshow is picking on the small fish, to see if they can just kill the demand for this stuff.

Anyways, I believe this forum is safe as Dave has always been willing to bend over backwards to acquiesce to Sideshow.

And as has been mentioned previously, we've done this dance numerous times before, Dave has to close down a thread and everybody screams that the sky is falling and the hobby is doomed, and the forum is over, and . . . oop, I just had an aneurysm.

BBTS and many other site sell many, many 3rd party Transformers that are exactly like the cartoon except don't feature the logos. They typically have spots in the shape of logos for their products and Hasbro still distributes the real Transformers to all of these sites. That's even more of a situation because Hasbro makes the toys and owns Transformers outright. I don't think SS would ever stop selling to BBTS and the like, there's so many unlicensed toys out there for sale on many sites.

It's kinda funny when it's a silly name, but thinking that you can change the name of something to make it not a copyright violation just confuses the issue. It's still a violation.

Though the issue around whether clothing is protected by copyright is something I'm not 100% sure on, the fact remains that even if the law says it's okay, Sideshow can still not want it to happen and ask Dave to shut it down, and he probably would.

The title of the thread has nothing to do with anything.

I’m just excited for this cosplay dress that I intend on putting on an unspecified action figure that I already purchased from Sideshow.[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t worry it’s of course still active/ok. Chili has been replying to emails and pms. Everyone who got s deposit in will have their dress, just make sure you update him if there’s any address changes etc.

Last we heard about the dress she said July but that was just an ETA

Hey guys as everyone has emailed me has learned, nothing has changed and we’re all still ago for July. Any changes in schedule and I’ll notify everyone here or via email depending on where things go with this section

Back