[IDM Customs] The Lone Ranger 1/6 Scale Figure (Tonto Head Sculpt Page 11)

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDMCustoms

Freaked Out!
Reaction score
5/29/13 Update:
Just want to update everyone that I've hit a speed-bump so to speak, so the Ranger is taking a little longer than I anticipated. He's going to take a little longer to finish because the mold and castings on his hand is taking a lot longer than I initially thought. The resin I use takes several days to dry and harden. Unlike the hat and mask which is thinner, the hands are using the same soft material, but because it's thicker, it's taking much longer to fully cure. The last few sets I've casted are averaging 3-4 days just for one set to cure. I just want to let everyone know. I'll try to finish him as soon as I can. Heads are being painted currently and Jen has already finished the clothing and we're starting to put everything together. So the hands casting and the box is the only thing slowing things. I hope to finish him in the next few weeks and will try to find a way to speed up the castings on the hands.

5/3/13 Update:

The run is closed and the edition size is 7 total. Numbered certificates will be issued per the list below and I'll keep everyone updated. A big thanks and congrats to all the collectors joining in on this!

I've placed an order for the guns and metal bullets and spurs, but Battlegear Toys is backordered until the second week of May so I hope to finish and ship everyone's out by the end of May at the very latest. I'll post updates here and you guys have my email and PM so feel free to contact me with any questions/comments.

John

---------------------

Alright guys he's finally done. I'll leave a few of the WIP photos, but I can only post so many images here. I'll add more photos in the posts or if anyone wants more photos, you can view all the photos on my Blog or Facebook account.

I finally got all the costs nailed down and with the 6 people on the interest list right now, he's going to be $465 shipped (shipping and Paypal fees included - International shipments are just $20 extra). Please PM me if you are still interested. I would like a $150 deposit to be paid and it will take about 2 weeks to finish all the figures to ship and the balance will be due then. I will use the deposit to get the body, guns, bullets, boots and supplies and start building them. The numbered certificates will be issued based on the time of payment so for example the first person to send in the deposit will get #1, second will get #2, etc. I will only make the run specific to the interest list and no more will be made later on. If you need to make payments for make a schedule of payments, just let me know. Jen and I are very flexible on the payments and we just want everyone to be happy. The run is made and closed because we won't be able to find the same materials and supplies to make any additional ones later.

If anyone wants any separate parts or castings, please let me know.

lr1.jpg
lr10.jpg
lr8.jpg
lr9.jpg

lr13.jpg

lr16.jpg

Confirmed List:
1) pcleemake PAID
2) qbomb71 PAID
3) Greatlakes6 $150 DEPOSIT PAID
4) yodasan PAID
5) Phantom65 $300 DEPOSIT PAID
6) The Danger $150 DEPOSIT PAID
7) mightyq PAID

Parts Order:
- Laney74 (Unpainted hat, unpainted mask, shirt and neckerchief) PAID

WIP Photos:

ranger7.jpg

ranger8.jpg

ranger9.jpg

ranger11.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Classic Lone Ranger Sculpt Photos (Page 1)

Laney, I thought about that, but I think that would lose the appeal of realism of these figures if the mask is permanent. It's pretty easy to just sculpt the mask over the head now that it's done though. The mask is really thin at this point. It's not even 1mm thick. I'm thinking of casting it in a soft material and I'm going to try to sew fabric into it. I'm not sure if it will work or not. If not, I think using an elastic strap will work too.

The photo of the head just rests on the face since there are no holes or anything to get it tight against the face. I think after doing the casts and paint it will look right. I hate thick masks and that's why I had the hat and mask done in 3D to get it super thin to fit properly.

Laney, I thought about that, but I think that would lose the appeal of realism of these figures if the mask is permanent. It's pretty easy to just sculpt the mask over the head now that it's done though. The mask is really thin at this point. It's not even 1mm thick. I'm thinking of casting it in a soft material and I'm going to try to sew fabric into it. I'm not sure if it will work or not. If not, I think using an elastic strap will work too.

The photo of the head just rests on the face since there are no holes or anything to get it tight against the face. I think after doing the casts and paint it will look right. I hate thick masks and that's why I had the hat and mask done in 3D to get it super thin to fit properly.

Holy moly! Man, this is just so awesome. I love your stuff. :)

You do 3D and sculpt in wax?? Who is doing the outfit? What other projects are in the pipeline from IDM? Sorry for all the questions.

Holy moly! Man, this is just so awesome. I love your stuff. :)

You do 3D and sculpt in wax?? Who is doing the outfit? What other projects are in the pipeline from IDM? Sorry for all the questions.

MG, likewise! I love your work too!

It depends. The Ranger head I sculpted in Apoxie and used Sculpey for the hair. I didn't use wax on him this time because I don't think he needs the crazy details. Akuma I did in wax though.

Jen (my wife) will be doing the outfit. Although she's a little backed up with the Punisher work, the Max Payne sets and then we'll be on Akuma and the Ranger after, but she works pretty fast so I think we'll be caught up soon.

I have a private commission for a Ryan Gosling from Drive and a Liam Neeson from Taken 2 that is close to wrapping soon, but that's about it for now.

John

Hey John, thanks bud. I have a respect for the zbrush sculptors. I tried but its a completely different skill set imo. congrats and glad you're on the forum. Very cool you have a 1/6 tailor living with you. :)

That sounds like a cool way to go. Looking forward to seeing your Gosling sculpt also.

If you're looking for your next project, what about the Green Hornet?

green-hornet-a-go_zps4e2b57cd.jpg

I would love to see a comic Golden Age version too
GHYearOne01covRoss_zps571206f1.jpg

Or maybe?
greatest-american-hero_zps5e712e4b.jpg

Put me down for this. Classic. Thanks.

Also, where is the outfit thread? I must be over looking it.

Last edited:

Thanks guys!

AlanJG1, no plans for the TV series one. I thought about doing it, but everything is pretty different from the hat, the mask, and the outfit so it would be basically a whole new figure. If it was just a sculpt change, I think that might be warranted if we get enough interest.

CaptainTrenchcoat - awesome idea! The Green Hornet would be fun to do!

Qbomb71, I added you to the list. The outfit isn't a separate thread. My wife Jen will be making it as soon as we wrap up some other work. Probably mid-March at the latest and I'll post updates here.

Back