[sdabbs] MGS: Liquid Snake (CLOSED)

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MGS: Liquid Snake [sdabbs] - HEAD UPDATE

Just relaying what the tailor said. He said that they cant do them like that (hidden) Maybe something to do with the magnets or the leather.. I'm unsure, he didn't divulge the specifics.

He said he's going to try and find some magnets first, but said it's more unlikely than likely and wanted me to pass it along.

Well if he can't end up doing it, I'll try to rig something. I guess for right now, I'll take open over the snap buttons.

Or the other option is the original fabric and real buttons and button holes.

It's not really specified, military trench coats are typically gaberdine, leather or a waterproofed fabric. The leather looks best here though I have to admit.

I'm easy with what anyone wants to do, not sure if it's that big of a deal really. There's a reason hot toys or most other company's don't do it as it's not that viable of an option. If people want to display it open then don't have the snaps to close it. It's the way it would be done anywhere else.

If there's ever been a jacket that needed to be open or closed (not one or the other) it's always done with a snap, so the same would have to apply here I'm afraid

No snaps please. What would it be like on the front panel then? Simulated buttons? Just the eye holes? Nothing? Im going to try to do some sort of earth magnet, just have to see what i come up with.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

What if there was snaps behind buttons?
Could a button be placed over a stitched in line then snaps behind, giving the impression of it closed at the button?

Just a thought

Personally i would prefer it in leather with no snaps.

You are correct Matt. If hot toys would have done it they would have probably used snaps. Which i dont like since it looks too toy like.
I am not even a fan of real working buttons, the scale is always wrong as the buttons always end up'being way too big.

I'm personally okay with having the leather jacket and no buttons. Like Plis suggested, I'm sure someone can always add magnets if they wanted it closed (there are some powerful, tiny magnets out there). I plan on displaying Liquid with his jacket opened, just like how it was in-game.

But, on the same note, I wouldn't mind a fabric jacket, either. From the way things are looking, I think a fabric jacket would offer more options for functionality than the leather material, which appears to be more fragile. If given the choice between aesthetics and functionality, it's best to have both. The leather jacket does look sweet, but from what's being described by Frank, it's not without its limitations - which would be mitigated by a cloth jacket.

As for the collar, I think one solution would be to cut a twistie-tie down to size, paint it in matching colors with the jacket, and seal it onto the collar with double-sided tape - preferably from the inside so it doesn't show.

Last edited:

I just want to say I don't care either way. Leather or fabric, open or closed it makes no difference to me.

I don't care either way either. Both look good. At least with fabric, you don't ever have to worry about it degrading way down the line.

You won't have to worry too much about leather, either. As long as its kept in a cool environment, it should be good.

MGS: Liquid Snake [sdabbs] - HEAD UPDATE

Real leather will not degrade over time, only PU or faux leather degrades, which this isn't.

The material isn't fragile either, leather is renown for durability all across the board, the problem is the button holes are too small so when the slit for the button is made, it's not big enough to embroid around the hole. Also because it's a vertical slit with no finishing the leather would be prone to splitting further after use and the tailors will not put out work like that, simple as.

The jacket with no snaps would have buttons bits on the front of one panel and then nothing on the other so it would look like any other jacket your ever bought/received with a figure.

MGS: Liquid Snake [sdabbs] - HEAD UPDATE

The tailor has used magnets that will be hidden when the jacket is open

Minus the bad angle and futzing, he wants to know if he can proceed. Everyone happy?

Forgot to say the straps on the shoulders will be a bit longer

7159793bdc186f85d2cafc9c0d99702f.jpg

73531ebceb521af750c5af4a7f59ae61.jpg

Last edited:

Looks good. How are the magnets built in? And yeah, the shoulder strap should be about a 1/3 longer.

Did the tailor do a fabric one too? I think it would be good to see them side by side.

Looks good! Wasn't the top button area a bit more curved in the proto pics (tinella's proto pic)?

He hasn't done a fabric one no, it's either one or the other.

If people prefer the fabric one, he will make them all fabric, if people want the leather one it will be leather.

He has my original fabric jacket over there as a cutting guide, as well as the fabric so there would be no difference to the fabric one they makes as to what's pictured on the first post.

If people opt for the fabric, then he will make a fabric one but the run will then go forward as the fabric without being able to be changed to the leather.

Back