[Doggie Doc] Indiana Jones Raiders Boots and Accessories (INTEREST)

Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum

Help Support Custom One-Sixth Figures Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys the big, real test is today. I am printing a slightly modified version of the boots with some additional texturing added, a new print orientation to minimize any issues from support marks, and with the proper print settings to minimize voxel appearance along large curved surfaces. If these turn out clean then I think... I THINK... I can finally scale into full production on on the boots! The other stuff was never really a question or issue so if I can start the boots then I can start the other stuff as well.

The newest print with updated settings and texture.... I think we have a winner.

DSC08722.JPG
DSC08721.JPG

You just need to open a deadline to sign up and the prices ... it looks very good ... good job

Those look awesome, DoggieDoc!

Just out of curiosity, does the new printer mean you would print all the boots yourself, or is it about making your own master prior to molding/casting? Just curious how the printer changes your work process in general versus before.

Those look awesome, DoggieDoc!

Just out of curiosity, does the new printer mean you would print all the boots yourself, or is it about making your own master prior to molding/casting? Just curious how the printer changes your work process in general versus before.So because I designed these to accept real laces they cannot be cast because there are crevices and openes that would make molding them impossible. The plan was to always print them all myself. This issues were multiple though. Number one my current printer before this new one could only do 3 pairs at a time. While not a total deal breaker that would have made production VERY slow due to print time alone, as I could only do MAYBE 6 pairs a day if I printed non stop. The other issue though was that for some reason the previous printer was struggling with some funky artifact like horizontal and vertical lines that I suspected were due to it struggling with the suction forces created by such a full build plate.

The new printer has a MASSIVELY larger print bed, to the point where I think I can print 10-15 pairs of boots AT ONE TIME. The print time is longer because this printer is slower due to the concessions made to deal with the higher suction forces, but it is still a massive improvement. The other thing is, since the printer is larger it was DESIGNED for higher suction forces, and so the boots coming off this printer are actually "cleaner" looking than off the smaller printer, despite the smaller printing possessing a technically higher XY resolution (the difference is relatively small but it is there).

The new printer has a MASSIVELY larger print bed, to the point where I think I can print 10-15 pairs of boots AT ONE TIME. The print time is longer because this printer is slower due to the concessions made to deal with the higher suction forces, but it is still a massive improvement. The other thing is, since the printer is larger it was DESIGNED for higher suction forces, and so the boots coming off this printer are actually "cleaner" looking than off the smaller printer, despite the smaller printing possessing a technically higher XY resolution (the difference is relatively small but it is there).
Thanks for the insight. That sounds like a really impressive printer!

New boots look awesome! Curious, do/will they still support decent ankle articulation?

New boots look awesome! Curious, do/will they still support decent ankle articulation?
They should. I don't think they're tall enough to hinder much. The ankle opening I made is larger than a leg at the bottom... ideally what I want people to do is just drop an ankle insert in there and glue it in, then you can just attach a normal ankle peg and you should be good to go.

They should. I don't think they're tall enough to hinder much. The ankle opening I made is larger than a leg at the bottom... ideally what I want people to do is just drop an ankle insert in there and glue it in, then you can just attach a normal ankle peg and you should be good to go.
I like that idea 👍

I personally would prefer the ball socket be done just so ball pegs can be connected it would be easier imo. But that's just me.

I personally would prefer the ball socket be done just so ball pegs can be connected it would be easier imo. But that's just me.
The ankle insert I'm referring to is for a ball socket. Like the one you find in the foot of a figure. Like this..

20211130_175519.jpg

So just so one of those in there, glue it in, and you're good to go. I don't like including the cup sculpted inside the show because it's too risky for breaking the boot.

Cool! I've got plenty of spare sockets to use so this is an easy solution. Thanks for the reply

Back